Hoshi's Thanksgiving dinner

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Guess what I found at Whole Foods tonight? Turkey necks and gizzards! I don't think he's had either. I'm hoping the turkey necks will be easy to grind. If he really likes it, I'll see if I can find more.

turkey_neck-300x236.jpg
chicken_gizzards-300x225.jpg
turkey_gizzards-300x225.jpg

I bet he likes it Manuel. I often make my puppy stew with turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hoshi had turkey neck and gizzards this morning. I made 6 meals from the neck. The meat was stinky. It took some effort cutting through the neck bones. Grinding them wasn't as bad as I imagined.

He loved it! Happy Thanksgiving!

ha ha mine had similar dinners - except Teddy got the neck and Princess got the tail and I added sweet potatoes as well. My turkey was still frozen when I went to cook it and the primary reason I spent 1.5h rinsing it under cold water was so I could pry the neck & tail out of it for the dogs!!!

Not sure what sort of grinder you're using but if you slice the extra meat from the thicker sides it tends to go down the chute better. If you can look for hen necks vs. tom necks that helps as well.

Hope you had a good day - Holidays are tough when you've lost someone close to you.

I'm using a hand grinder. The problem is I don't have a suitable table to attach it to. Any excess force dislodges it and I have to tighten it back down. How did you prepare the sweet potatoes? Cubed? Hoshi likes them from Boston Market but he's never had them raw.

I'm using a hand grinder. The problem is I don't have a suitable table to attach it to. Any excess force dislodges it and I have to tighten it back down. How did you prepare the sweet potatoes? Cubed? Hoshi likes them from Boston Market but he's never had them raw.

OH! That sounds painful!

I baked the sweet potatoes (minus marshmallows for them!) I sometimes prepare them in the microwave but the oven was already on. I tend to cook them. I think I've used them raw in my veggie mix (back when I did more veggie mixes) but I ground it up with the other veggies.

If you're feeding sweet potatoes to your dog, make sure it's cooked first! From what I've come across in my research, raw sweet potatoes can inhibit protein digestion. I've thought of slicing some up and throwing them on the dehydrator to make "chips". They're supposed to be a good dog treat.

Back