housebreaking

deedee

Owned by
2 cockers
I haven't posted for several years, just have logged on to get information. We are starting over again. Our darling Butch went to Rainbow Bridge after 14 years of giving us joy. Bosco is now 4 and we have added Cinnamon Joe to our family. I am struggling. I have had fur babies for over 40 year and I can't seem to get a grip on housebreaking our new boy. He has been with us a month. He and Bosco are doing fine I think. The typical growling and snarfing and play biting back and forth. Sometimes I have to settle them down, but as a whole I am happy with that aspect. However the housebreaking, especially #2. He knows what go out means, when I say it he heads for the door. I take him out first thing in the morning, he goes. We eat and sometimes, not always within the hour he goes again.
Last night got home, let him out, he went. Came in to change clothes and boom, he went again in the house within two minutes of being inside. I am not talking a little, I mean ALOT. We walk the yard for 10 to 15 mintues even after he goes. I am feeding him two times per day. 7 Am and 2 Pm. I am truly at my wits end. Any pointers? Thanks

Deedee welcome back.
Have you tried tying him to you at all times when you are inside? Sometimes it's just a matter of learning their body language and teaching him that
it's not ok to use the house as a toilet. I know what you are going thru. One of my dogs years ago was so stubborn, she went in the house all the time. It got to the point that my hubby was calling her "Pook Sh*t on the rug. But, in time she quit. We also were working at the time.

Find all the housetraining uTube vids and see if there is anything new you can try. And, if all else fails take him to the vet to be sure it isn't something physical.

Good Luck.

How old is Cinnamon Joe? That does make a difference. I agree with tying the puppy to you when you can’t directly supervise easily. When he does go potty outside do a happy little dance and give him a treat. It does take some time but I’m sure he’ll get the hang of it.

Thank you both and yes it is getting much better, he is now 4 months old and we have had him for 7 weeks. He is so smart and I don't get his reluctance to understand it. My husband says his indian name is two poops. LOL. I have never had a dog that despises the kennel. He has a
fit and howls and poops all over it. I tried the enclosed kennel, I tried the open wire kennel, the same thing. However good news, I did notice that he loves my office. Sooooo I put a baby gate up when we are gone and guess what, we have had to howling or crying or messing up in there. We have had a great stretch of 10 days without an accident. Honesty though, in all my 40+ years of having fur babies in the house, I never have had
one that would tell me he had to go out, they just wait until I take them out to do their business. So yay and so happy that we are making progess.

Back