How long does a cocker live? Tips for senior care?

MellyMelandLucky

I know the Internet has plenty of sources for this. But I'd like to know from other cocker owners- How long do they live?

Lucky is a very healthy, active boy. He's become a chunk of muscle, really. But he's also estimated to be 10 years old. I understand I may not have too long left with him. Or I may have a long time with this big lovey yet!

What are some ways I can help him thrive as he grows closer to his senior years, if he isn't already considered to be there? He's a strong, healthy guy and has improved SO SO SO SO much since rescue. I'd like to keep him thriving.

Your pix of him in his sweater--he looks very dapper!!I worry about that, too. I think the English Cockers' are estimated to be 12-15 year lifespan so maybe American Cockers are the same. However, so far I have been lucky with my dogs--my plot hound mix lived to 19 (very unusual for a 65 lb dog) an had good quality of life until the age of 18.5 yrs. My beagle is 15 years old and still pretty spry. I never let my doggies get fat and always see that they have exercise and lots of mental stimulation. I believe a good quality feed is very important and so is noticing when your dog is not acting right and then taking them to the vets promptly when needed or modifying their lifestyle as needed. That is my take on it for what it is worth.

Well, he has food that seems to work for him. I've got him on Iams senior (9+) dry food. Occasionally he gets a ceasar dinner, and he loves tennis balls. He occasionally plays tug. When he's around Bear, they play, nap, and play some more. I also make sure he's bathed and his teeth are clean. Nit to mention, he sleeps between myself and a few stuffed animals at bedtime.

I don't have a pet supply store within 100 miles of me, but every time I go to the nearest one, I always take him. He likes to ride in the cart...
Gah, now I need a trip out of town!

I'm very fortunate that my cockers have all lived to 16/17 yrs old and been in good health until the final 6+ mo of their lives.

I also believe that a proper diet, keeping them lean and active and as chemical free as possible helps a great deal.

On the flip side, you never know when your last day will be so treasure each one

Back