How often do you do nails??

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who absolutely HAS to do them 1-2x a week. I have hw floors so I do like to keep the nails short so they done 'click' and scratch the floors. But seriously, I 'let them go' over the summer - ie, only did them every 2-3weeks b/c we were traveling so much and I'm still trying to get them back to the 'right' length.

Teddy is easy, he lays in my lap and holds out his paws while I dremmel them, but Princess is still a pia about it. usually I do them while holding her down while my daughter feeds her. Its hard to get to more than 1x a week.

its getting bad enough I'm considering building one of those sanding blocks and teaching them to run their nails on it on command!

I have hardwood floors and I do nails every couple of weeks but I walk daily on concrete and I think that helps to file them.

I do nails every week when I bathe them. Amelia is great about trimming nails. Fenway not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pye is great about his nails, Pogo hates it, I'm afraid to do them. So off to the vets for Pogs. To tell you the truth, I have started to take Pye also. They see our head Vet Tech once a month. I think its good, they handle them both, know them both well, and the boys are not afraid to go to the vets. The plus is that if they feel or see anything the let me know.

I dremel every two weeks or so. My two are pretty good about it, they much prefer it to clipping.

I clip, but I also use my "show toes". It works very well. It is like a dremmel but the tips are a little different and it is easier to hold on to.

I do nails every week when I bathe them.

OK! I'll just shut up now b/c I cant even remember the last time I bathed either dog :redface::unsure:

I clip, but I also use my "show toes". It works very well. It is like a dremmel but the tips are a little different and it is easier to hold on to.

Tell me more about these "show toes" please!

294b9b0528e6379afeb1ec2dddae4b82.jpg
ba3da729930e9232020529f0139d9690.jpg
. Show toes is a nail grinder developed by Ashley Craig. Very easy to handle. The tip is a lot thinner than the dremmel. Also a little longer. Not as easy to get caught in the hair. Dogs are great with it as well. It goes in forward and reverse.
0e2f0722c1c5cd1e8dcf714c963a41c1.jpg
. I use the shampoo from them as well. Can you tell I love their products. Lol.

Very neat Nicole, and great pix of it. So it doesn't tangle in Fenway and Amelia's long coats? Funny little story. This week when I took the boys in for their nails, the head tech did them for me.. usually it's one of the girls. He came out and asked me if Pye didn't have any dew claws.. LOL I said no. He said Pogs did and he spent some time going thru Pye's thick coat looking for his. LOL.

Very neat Nicole, and great pix of it. So it doesn't tangle in Fenway and Amelia's long coats? Funny little story. This week when I took the boys in for their nails, the head tech did them for me.. usually it's one of the girls. He came out and asked me if Pye didn't have any dew claws.. LOL I said no. He said Pogs did and he spent some time going thru Pye's thick coat looking for his. LOL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Much easier than a dremmel. Gets caught it can get caught, but is very easy to get out of the coat. I could say it does not get caught as much as the dremmel. April still had a dew claw. Her right front. Do did Classy. Lol. I still remember finding these when doing the nails. I told the breeder. I think they forgot to do those feet. Funny it was the same foot from those two girls in that litter. Babe and Cassey did not have their dew claws they paid more attention. Lol.

I have an Andis Nail grinder that looks similar to. Nicole's. Mine stops automatically if hair gets tangled on it.

Wow I am in awe and embarrassed. ! My pups get their nails done when they go to the groomers... 6-8 weeks

i clip the cats nails but I would never consider doing the dogs nails.

I have a dremmel too, Hannah hates it and will freak out and bark at it as soon as I bring it out. She thinks it is one of those stupid things mom thought she needed (wish you could have seen the look of horror on her face when I tryed to use an electric toothbrush on her :)) She will let me use clippers and a file on her nails though.

I do it when I bath her but before I dry her off, I find that it is easier to keep the hair out of the way and the nails are softer so there is not jolt when I clip them.

Last edited:
She thinks it is one of those stupid things mom thought she needed (wish you could have seen the look of horror on her face when I tryed to use an electric toothbrush on her :)) She will let me use clippers and a file on her nails though.

I tried the sonicare toothbrush on Hoshi. He was like, What the! No! No way! He doesn't like the buzzing noise.

I do the nails after bathing, before blow drying. I brush their teeth with a regular toothbrush. Never tried a sonic care. Don't think that mine would a buzzing in their mouth. Lol.

LOL, I tryed a small child size electric brush, it even had princesses adorning the handle.

I use the regular doggie toothbrush on mine. I think the angle of the head makes it a little easier to use on their teeth.

Oh I could just see me trying an electric toothbrush on Pye :lol: The clipper is bad enough! :lol: Pye is FAST! Like Greased Lightning! Zoom!!!!!

Back