How to measure a dog?

Pam J.

Owned by cockers
Owned by
1 cocker
How do you measure a dog for a coat or PJ's? The form says 8" or 10"-12". Does that mean neck to tail?

Let me get back with you on this one unless someone else knows. For now, I'll say neck to tail. :huh:

Instructions from Foster and Smith
HOW TO MEASURE FOR PET CLOTHING:
  1. Measure your pet from the base of his neck to the base of his tail as shown in the illustration.
  2. Always round up to the next larger size if the measurement is near or over the range maximum in the smaller size. This is particularly true for coats and jackets since there is no stretch in those materials.
  3. Also round up to the next larger size if your pet has a thick coat, broader chest, or wider underside.

Attachments

• how_to_measure.gif
    how_to_measure.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thank you. I looked on a couple web sites and neither gave instructions. Zelda sheds so bad I'm going to have to shave her and then cover her up. My daughter has asthma and she has never had a problem with Daisy but Zelda's hair flies everywhere. I hope this helps.

Pam
When I first started to collect the coats for the crew.. I measured thier neck size and from collar to tail. And lastly around the middle. My lady will make them custom to fit. Which is good for Tunie since she is very small. I like to keep mine short also. I shave their backs with a 4F
and scissor their legs the length I want them to be.

I have now measured everyone individually. I go from collar to tail and then girth where I want a strap to go. I made Eloise's coat and fit it on Riley, since Eloise wasn't here and she is a little smaller than Riley. What I didn't realize is that although she weighs a little less and is a litle thinner, she is actually slightly longer than Riley. Her coat fits but would have been nicer if it was a little longer. I am customizing her coat pattern and will be making her a new one soon.

Back