memorial In Memory of Scarlett

Mirten

Owned by
1 cocker
My partner and I had decided to add a puppy to our family, and we knew it was a big responsibility and a big decision to make. We wanted to rescue a puppy, and we were looking at several different breeds, trying to decide what the best fit would be. I had a personal affinity for Cockers, though, so I was just waiting until we met one that tugged at our hearts.

That puppy was Scarlett, a little red girl with a full tail. The story behind Scarlett was her mother was a surrender and Scarlett and her siblings were born at the rescue. The lady met us and we signed paperwork, and we were given Scarlett's shot/wormer records. We took her home that day. She was around 10 weeks old.

At first everything seemed fine, we were all adjusting to the new baby in our lives. Scarlett was a calm puppy from the start, but not lethargic.. just reserved. She was content just to lay next to you and chew on a toy.

On the third day after we brought Scarlett home, I knew something wasn't right. I was cleaning up her poo from the bathroom and could tell by the smell and consistancy that it just wasn't "normal" puppy poo. Also Scarlett was acting strange, not happy like she usually did. At first I thought it was just a worm overload - I had read about how worms can make a puppy lethargic, their gums gray, their poop weird. It came down to me telling my partner, "There just isn't something right with her.." and she said to me, "Well, do you want to take her or not?"

Of course, I did. We took Scarlett to the vet, and I was silently screaming please don't let it be parvo! But it was. The vet painted a very bleak picture for the baby, and I cried when he told me there was very little hope. It was so sad, seeing that little puppy on the stainless steel exam table.. too weak to support her own head, wobbly if she was moved. It just seemed like she was miserable.

Ultimately, we made the decision to let her go. I didn't want her to suffer, and the vet had told us he didn't think she'd make it, no matter what method of treatment we chose.

It still makes me sad sometimes, to think about what potential her little life had.. what kind of dog would she have been?

The loss of Scarlett led directly to Jada being in my life, and I'll never be sorry about that. I just wish we had had more time with Scarlett, and that she would have had the chance to grow up and become whatever wonderful dog she was supposed to be.

Unfortunately, I only have the one picture of her, and it's not a very good one.. but this is what that little baby looked like:

scarlett.jpg
Rest in peace, Scarlett.. you're not forgotten.​

Poor little baby Scarlett. At least she knew you loved her. Very cute picture of her.
Since you'd only had her 3 days she had gotten it from either the rescue or where she was prior to that as it takes approximately 21-23 days to show signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry Scarlett left you so quickly. I wish we could eradicate parvo they way we did with polio so pups would no longer suffer.

Very sorry to hear about Scarlett, she may have been with you for such a short time, but your love came at a time in her life when she needed some. My Tasha will look after her, and she will have plenty of other cocker friends over the bridge. You were her angel and I'm sure she will never forget you.

I'm very sorry for your loss. She was a cute baby. {{{{{{{}}}}}}}

RIP little Scarlett...she was a very pretty little red girl, so sorry for your loss.

Back