Issues with senior Spaniels

Dale

Hi there,
Baxter is getting up there in years (not sure exactly how old he is but vet´s guess is 12, going on 13) and for the first time is starting to show his age a bit. Twice now he has gotten wobbly, basically looked like he was drunk. It went away after a bit. I googled and it looks like the oh so technically named "old dog syndrome"--I also talked to the vet and he said just to keep an eye on it and bring him in if it gets worse or doesn't go away fairly quickly. Anyway, I was wondering what other issues your senior dogs have dealt with and if you did anything special for their care as they got old. (He has been lumpy with cysts and fatty deposits since I adopted him at age 9(ish) but they are all benign and don´t bother him a bit).

That sounds like a neurological problem. I wouldn't think that's a normal part of aging. Yes, I've had to cockers and both had numerous skin tumors. Gabby had a couple fatty tumors. One grew large, about the size of a plumb and was surgically removed.

That sounds like a neurological problem. I wouldn't think that's a normal part of aging. Yes, I've had to cockers and both had numerous skin tumors. Gabby had a couple fatty tumors. One grew large, about the size of a plumb and was surgically removed.
That´s what I am worried about but it has gone away for now, he seems fine again. I think the "old dog syndrome" isn´t exactly a normal part of aging, but it happens to some dogs and as long as it goes away doesn't require treatment.

I guess I haven’t seen that but I do think as dogs age they sometimes need to be kept warmer in the winter. Just as our joints can tend to ache a little more as we age so can a dog’s. Keeping the dog a little warmer can help as can some glucosamine.

I guess I haven’t seen that but I do think as dogs age they sometimes need to be kept warmer in the winter. Just as our joints can tend to ache a little more as we age so can a dog’s. Keeping the dog a little warmer can help as can some glucosamine.
We are in southern Louisiana so cold isn't a major problem, but that´s good advice, thank you.
Unfortunately the balance issue came back and rapidly got much worse yesterday, I took him in and the vet confirmed vestibulitis, which he said usually comes and goes in a span of a couple days. Right now Baxter is taking vertigo meds and breaking my heart, although he doesn´t seem to be in pain, just listing at a 15 degree angle and confused.

Back