It's getting close!

dizzy

Just a few more days, and I'll finally have my puppy home! I'm trying to get everything ready B4 hand.

Figured out a spot for her to use for a bathroom in the yard. It had some junk in it which has been removed and it's been raked. Having just the one spot means I won't have piles all over the yard. I HATE to step in doggy doo doo. Plus, it will be easy to keep it clean.

I bought a bag of feed that the breeder says they're using. I will probably switch her to a different feed since I can only buy this in a pet store, and don't have one close to me. There's one near my chiropractor's office, so I got it when I was there. This will give me time to compare different ones and make an intelligent decision.

I bought some chew toys that are made for teething puppies. I wanted to buy other toys, but quite honestly, many of them scared me. Until I know for sure that she'll be fine w/them, I won't buy anything that I don't know for sure won't get ripped to shreds, and/or could cause her to choke.

I got a collar and leash. I didn't spend a lot because she'll outgrow the collar. Plus, I couldn't find the color I wanted. So, I just went w/a basic black.

I made an appointment w/the vet for her next set of shots.

I was going to buy a grooming brush, but there were a few different styles and I don't know what kind I need.

I have to get some feed dishes. The ones in the pet store and Wal-Mart were either too expensive, or I didn't like them. I saw some in another store that I did like, and were a good price, so I'll be getting them this week.

I've been looking for my carrier. I haven't used it in years since I no longer have my cat. I hope I didn't get rid of it. If I can't find it, I'm hoping to borrow one from a friend.

I still need to clean out my feed/tack stall at the farm. She will spend some time in there. I need to be sure she can't reach anything. I don't really need any of my tack chewed up!

I also need to clean out my truck. Right now, there's a ton of empty egg cartons in it, some trash, and some clothing and my crocheting. I need all of that out B4 I can take her w/me.

I need to have an area set up both at home and at the farm where I can put her to keep her out of stuff and where she'll be safe.

I need to make a platform for the front of my canoe. I will start getting her use to the canoe from the get-go. But, so she's not sitting in water, and so she doesn't slip, I need a low platform w/something that will be comfortable for her. The recommendation I found was for a bath mat.

Can anyone think of anything else I need to do?

I need to make a platform for the front of my canoe. I will start getting her use to the canoe from the get-go. But, so she's not sitting in water, and so she doesn't slip, I need a low platform w/something that will be comfortable for her.
Taking her canoeing sounds like fun. I'm sure she'll love it! So Callie will be yours? She looks precious. I can't think of any suggestions right now. You've spent considerable time planning this out. :thumbsup:

Thanks! That's the pic the breeder sent me yesterday saying she was mine.

She's also get to go crabbing, fishing, for walks in the woods, maybe hunting and eventually go w/me when I go horseback riding. That will take some work. I've been reading up on what to do to keep her safe.

Found my crate this morning, so I'm one step closer to being ready! And, she'll probably get to experience her first campfire this Saturday. I'll probably also stick her in the canoe (on the ground) so she can start getting use to it.

Oh Dizzy, Callie is just beautiful!
We had several members here who take their babies boating, DJ for one and I think either Rita or June did also. The one thing I remember from all their pictures was
the dogs were wearing life jackets. I think if I were you I would maybe look on ebay or something like that for a used one since Callie will grow so fast. But, it is a very
good safety measure for her.

Also if you can't find a food you like for her, Chewy's has great prices and very low shipping. I get my dry for my boys and the cats from them.
As you know I do home cook for Pogo and Pye, and, one of my cats likes the stew also, but I did start to use a dry for breakfast and when we travel.

I thought I would also give you the URL for dog food advisor..
This is invaluable when you are choosing what to feed. Tells you which foods have been recalled and why.
Dog Food Reviews

Polly, thanks for that link! I checked out the feed I got, and it's not rated very high, so I will be changing feeds. I don't have the time to sit down now and go thru them, plus I need to see what's available where I normally shop. Then, I'll be able to make my decision.

And, a life jacket is a given for her when we really start to canoe. I used to have one, I think for Sandy. I don't think I got rid of it, so I'll have to look for it.

Polly, thanks for that link! I checked out the feed I got, and it's not rated very high, so I will be changing feeds. I don't have the time to sit down now and go thru them, plus I need to see what's available where I normally shop. Then, I'll be able to make my decision.

And, a life jacket is a given for her when we really start to canoe. I used to have one, I think for Sandy. I don't think I got rid of it, so I'll have to look for it.
Dizzy with how busy you are, check out Chewy.com. Their prices are very good, and they do carry a lot of different foods. And, even if you have to pay shipping, I don't think it's more than $4.95. I figure you can't get in the car and drive anywhere for that. I do buy a lot from them, including toys for both the dogs and cats.

If they don't have something I like in either Tractor Supply or Wal-Mart, I'll probably have to.

Got my feed/tack stall cleaned out. Took longer than I expected. I found 3 dead mice and 1 live one. They got into the rat poison that I keep on hand for when they start tunneling into my chicken pens. (I put the poison down the holes, then fill them in. That way, there's no dead rats around for something else to eat and possibly die.) But, it's been swept clean. Stuff has been moved around and some stuff that I don't need for now has been put elsewhere.

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa! We're supposed to pick her up tomorrow morning around 11:00. I transferred money out of my savings account into my checking account, so the money is all set.

I got a food bowl and a water bowl. The water bowl is bigger than the feed bowl. I figure she needs more water than food! When she's full grown, I may get her a bigger dish.

I got the chicken wire cut to put on the inside of my pen. Either hubby or I will attach it tomorrow for the pen at home. I figure she's not going in it when we get home, so there'll be time.

I got most of the egg cartons out of my truck, but haven't cleaned it yet. She won't be in it until Monday, so I have time. And, I haven't built the platform for my canoe. I'm not sure when I'll be taking her out, so I have time.

wlniu4V.jpg

She's home and asleep on my lap.

Back