Meet Callie!

dizzy

After looking for years and having I don't know how many disappointments, I brought my new baby home today. We had to stop and get some food for dinner on the way home, so I stayed out w/her while hubby went in. When he came out, he had a stuffie for her. I think she's going to be spoiled.

wlniu4V.jpg

I am so happy for you. After years of waiting you finally have your cocker spaniel puppy. Congratulations!

Last night was an adventure. She went to bed w/out much fuss, even slept in her crate. Got up around 3:00. She had already peed in her pen. I took her outside anyway. I grabbed a flashlight so I could see her-there are no streetlights here, and it's hard to see a black dog at night!

Brought her in the house, and tried to settle her back in her pen, then went back to bed. She cried for a little bit, then settled down. I thought she was OK. Then I heard a noise in the hall. She had gotten out of her pen. So, I picked her up and sat in my recliner w/her. She went back to sleep, I only dozed. She's used to breakfast at 6:00, so I had my alarm set for then. I was not happy to hear it go off. I got up, put here in the tub so I could pee, then took her out. she peed, so I brought her back in and got her breakfast ready. She ate, so I took her out and she pooped!

Since we've come back in, she hasn't really settled. I think she's missing her siblings and her mother. I have her on my lap, and I think she's going back to sleep. I hope she's going to start sleeping thru the night soon. I have a feeling I'm going to have trouble staying awake in church this morning!

My oak trees are already losing leaves and acorns. I'm going to have to really watch Callie. They can be toxic. Guess I'll have to really keep them raked up.

My oak trees are already losing leaves and acorns. I'm going to have to really watch Callie. They can be toxic. Guess I'll have to really keep them raked up.
Yup these little stinkers can get into so much! When Robin brought Pye to me, she brought an old dish towel that she kept in the puppy kennel so he could smell his littermates.
Oh boy did I have trouble getting him to sleep! This is what I finally did, I bungie corded his crate to an old table so he would be at eye level with me. His crate door opened right behind my pillow. At first I would jam a kong filled with a little cream cheese between the bars, he would be busy with that and would usually put himself to sleep. I did take him out
at least once a night at first. And, of course I stayed out with him, that first week Robin and I both did! He was so tiny and I was so afraid of the owls swooping down and geting him.

To this day he sleeps above our heads on the bed.
Right there I was using Michael's piano bench with one of his old drawing boards underneath. I later went to the thrift shop and found the perfect size table.

Here is a picture of his puppy set up.
Crate_zps4y9h8zhu.jpg

JailBird_zpsj0mt99ji.jpg

The next month I discovered LuLu, his favorite toy. He would 'nurse' on LuLu and then go to sleep. To this day I know when he wants to go to bed, he comes in with Lulu, he will take her outside, follow me around till I get the hint. I bought about 6 of these and put them away, he
can't be without Lulu.
PyeLulu_zps1lgndbwc.jpg

Raising Pye was an adventure for me. He's the only puppy I have ever had. I will say
that we have a very deep devotion to each other. He's my baby.

Michael takes Pogo for rides in the car and for little walks around the cabin, Pye won't go unless I go. He wants to very badly, but, he won't leave me.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking of putting my lounge chair in the kitchen w/a pad on it. It's wider than most-I got it so I could use it as a cot when I go camping. She seems to be fine going to sleep by herself at night, but once she wakes up, all bets are off. I was falling asleep in church today. We had a special speaker. If I had known he was going to be there, I would have taken Junior Church. He's one of the missionaries we support, and English is his 2nd language. He's native to India. I have a horrible understanding him because of the problems w/my ears. So, I wouldn't have minded missing. I'm not going to the evening service, though. Not until I get her on a schedule that works for us.

I've had puppies B4, but it's been about 20 years since my last one. So, this is, in a way, old to me, but at the same time, it's all new. So far her favorite "toy" is an old horse lead rope made out of the same stuff that they use for the rope toys. I'm thinking about cutting it up into smaller pieces, and typing a knot on both ends.

She's liking to go outside. I'd keep her out more if it wasn't so hot-93*! She seems to be OK, but I'm not. Plus, I was getting bit up by mosquitoes. If we have a nice evening next weekend, she might get to experience her first campfire.

I was in the same boat when we got Fiona. It had been 2o years give or take since I had a puppy too...I was in culture shock. I remember it took me a week to warm up to the idea of having a puppy in the house---my sister thank goodness kept reassuring me that everything would turn out okay. My beagle was two when I got her and I was so much younger and had so much more energy when I had my last puppy. You just hang in there Dizzy!

I am seriously thinking of putting my lounge chair in the kitchen w/a pad on it. It's wider than most-I got it so I could use it as a cot when I go camping.
It might be better to stick with your usual sleeping arrangements so Callie can adjust. Sounds like you’re off to a great start.
Her being black would worry me too at night. The flashlight is a great idea. I use one too to find Hoshi poops at night.

There are little blinking flashers that you can attach to their collars to help you find them at night or you can put her in an xpen outside to ensure that she doesn't wander off and you don't catch it. It sounds like you are in more of a country type setting so keeping where you can see her is a good idea. I have one for each of my dogs.

It might be better to stick with your usual sleeping arrangements so Callie can adjust. Sounds like you’re off to a great start.
Her being black would worry me too at night. The flashlight is a great idea. I use one too to find Hoshi poops at night.

The problem w/that is that hubby needs his sleep. If he dragging at work because of a lack of sleep, it could be very dangerous. He works w/heavy equipment, both running it and figuring out what equipment is needed, size, etc. So, if he's off on a calculation because of lack of sleep it could be, quite literally, deadly.

Polly, last night, I cleared off my night stand and stuck Callie's crate on it facing the bed. She did fairly well and I got more sleep! I think she's going to be easy to train.

Polly, last night, I cleared off my night stand and stuck Callie's crate on it facing the bed. She did fairly well and I got more sleep! I think she's going to be easy to train.

So sorry, just have to tell you as it just popped in my mind..... Callie's probably thinking you're going to be easy to train too :D

So glad you found a solution thats going to work for everyone.

Now, where are our pics? You know we're depending on you for baby pics right? PLEEEEEEEASE?!?

I'm glad Dizzy, it sure worked for me. And what's more, I could hear Pye easier when he got restless and I took him out right away. He never messed in his crate.

She only got up 2x last night. Only problem being, once she got up the 2nd time, she was done sleeping for the night! If it had been closer to 5:00, it wouldn't have been so bad. But, it was only 4:00! Hopefully tonight, she'll do even better.

I've taken some pics, I just haven't had time to do anything w/them.

She only got up 2x last night. Only problem being, once she got up the 2nd time, she was done sleeping for the night! If it had been closer to 5:00, it wouldn't have been so bad. But, it was only 4:00! Hopefully tonight, she'll do even better.

I've taken some pics, I just haven't had time to do anything w/them.
It will get better Dizzy I'm sure. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Callie has had a busy week. She has met all kinds of animals-horses, chickens, goats, other dogs, a rabbit, a duck and a cat. The cat is one that hangs around my field. I've been feeding her since I'm hoping she'll keep the mice away. Callie wants to make friends, but the cat isn't that sure.

I have placed Callie on both Licorice's and Misty's backs. Of course, it was only for a couple of seconds, and I never let go of her! The horses are fine w/her, but for now, I'm not letting her loose near them.

I've been letting her take a nap if she wants in the evening. I've found that if she takes a nap, then goes out around 9:00, 10:00, she'll then sleep until around 2:00, then we're good until it's time to get up.

Some days she's good about going potty outside, other days, not so good. But, she's still young. I know it will happen.

I got her a life jacket yesterday and had hoped to take her out in the canoe today, but it was too windy. Maybe tomorrow. I was also going to have a campfire, but again, w/the wind, I wouldn't do it.

I've been working on getting my yard cleaning. She's wanting to pick up and chew on sticks, pine cones, acorns, etc. I won't let her. The acorns can make her sick because of the tannins in them, the others can splinter, and I don't need her getting hurt on them. I'm sure she'll outgrow that when she gets a bit older. Right now, she's in the piranha puppy stages, so we're working on that. All in all, it's been a good week.

Thanks for the update and you finally have an avatar. Nice picture!

Back