Need new ideas for anxious/fearful doggie!

Sarah Jordan

Our 10 year old Wally pup is scheduled to be groomed this Thursday. He has gone to this groomer for years and we have tried lots of different things to reduce the stress for all involved. The groomer is scared of Wally and Wally is scared of her plus everything that grooming entails. It stresses me out because I know he is stressed and the groomer is stressed. I'm always afraid he will bite her. We can't neglect him; he's already gone way too long without a fur-cut, so there has got to be a solution. Please help!

I think you should find another groomer. This groomer is too fearful. My Gabby would try to nip me in his later years when I groomed him. He had bad experiences with groomers in the past. I was patient with him and groomed him when he was ready.

Find an experienced groomer with good references. Let them know your concerns. They should be able to finish the job quickly and minimize Wally's stress.

I groom Hoshi myself. I can take my time and Hoshi gets to stay at home. If he gets cranky, I can stop and finish the job later.

Thank you for your suggestion! Wally is not friendly to many people other than us and a few select people who he has come to trust. I have groomed him in the past just to reduce the anxiety for all involved, but I don't do a very good job and I have to use a muzzle because he hates his groin and feet being touched and snaps at me if I even try.

I think you should find another groomer. This groomer is too fearful. My Gabby would try to nip me in his later years when I groomed him. He had bad experiences with groomers in the past. I was patient with him and groomed him when he was ready.

Find an experienced groomer with good references. Let them know your concerns. They should be able to finish the job quickly and minimize Wally's stress.

I groom Hoshi myself. I can take my time and Hoshi gets to stay at home. If he gets cranky, I can stop and finish the job later.

I don't do a very good job and I have to use a muzzle because he hates his groin and feet being touched and snaps at me if I even try.
Don't worry if it doesn't look the best. It gets the job done. For touchy places like the feet, use treats. Use a treat he really loves. Wally's behavior won't change over night so be patient.

I am curious....how well does Wally stand for his comb outs and home brushing? Oh I see that he doesn't even like to be brushed....even by his peeps. Hmmmm-m. Does he like to have his belly rubbed? What about if you had him laid down on the couch and laid the brush next to the 2 of you. When he quits reacting to it, then pick it up and put it down while you continue to pet him and rub his belly. I would do this for couple of weeks before I tried to move on and ask for more. Move in little baby steps. Then maybe try brushing just his back with a pin brush which is pretty gentle. Move slowly enough and I bet you will see progress.

Fiona will growl if you get too rough and run into a lot of tangles or mats. She has always been groomed by us and isn't used to any rough treatment at all. That means it is easier to comb out her hair every other day than to deal with her lack of patience. You wouldn't think that the pretty silky coat would require much grooming but it does. It is tangle prone as can be and we have figured out that you just don't let the legs belly and chest hair get clumpy or it gets mats. Thinning shears are our best friend here.

Last edited:
With my very first cocker I had the same experience. I took him to a groomer and he came back looking a little worse for wear. They told me he bit the groomer. Then and there I decided to learn to groom for his sake, just like Manuel said. Back then it was harder, I relied on myself, and my internet friends to explain what to do. Over the years there are many grooming DVDs and even uTube videos available to explain the process. There is nothing wrong with using a muzzle, I have one here that sometimes I have to use. My youngest baby (he will be 4 on the 21st) has never liked his face groomed, he would stand it for Robin, his groomer, but, not for me. So, I have my husband hold him, and hold his front paws, and zip zoom he's done. I like doing my dogs myself, it's so much cheaper, and, I like to keep my boys groomed pretty tight. So, it works well for me. Pratice makes perfect, and, your dog doesn't care if he's a little rough.

Another suggestion is that if there are dog shows in your area, find one that has a cocker club and attend the show. Go back where the dogs are groomed, get friendly, ask questions, etc. Show breeders, if they are not behind schedule, are usually always willing to talk.

I'm another one who does it myself. Sometimes I do a decent job. Othertimes .... looks like a drunk, blind person used a weed whacker on them. Yes, I'd love my dogs to look professionally groomed all the time but it expensive and the scheduling was such a pia

One thing I like is I do it at my own pace. Tue I did a big comb out and deshedding. Th I did rough haircuts. Today I bathed. Tomorrow or Sun I'll do the final trims. This can be useful if you have dogs that balk at grooming. You do a bit at a time. Provide lots of treats. a frozen treat like frosty paws can be a good distraction while you've got him on the table. If he balks at the clippers, you could hand scissor him - there are quite a few youtube videos on hand scissoring cockers.

A muzzle is a tool. Sure, its great if you dont need to use one but if you do, think of it as protecting BOTH of you. Dogs with a bite history are a huge liability. Could eventually cost him his life so preventing a bite by using a muzzle is a smart thing to do.

Finally, talk to your vet - they may have a groomer in house who is experienced in difficult dogs. Or your vet may be willing to provide sedation for safety's sake.

Othertimes .... looks like a drunk, blind person used a weed whacker on them. I feel ya--God help my dog if my sister didn't show me what to do (the retired hair stylist) several times while telling me what she was doing, then instructing how to hold the various tools and critiquing the results. --- she can usually fix my boo-boos. Some of the stuff still makes me nervous like shaving her bum and face.

Thank y'all for your help! I bought a new muzzle for him the other day, as well as a pair of thinning shears. What really helped was someone talking to him or petting him to keep him distracted. I ended up scissor cutting his ears, the top of his head, and his groin. My clippers were duds (they were second hand) so that was a no go! I at least got all the mats cut off his groin area and ears! That was the most important to me. He looks so much better with that little bit done!

I am curious....how well does Wally stand for his comb outs and home brushing? Oh I see that he doesn't even like to be brushed....even by his peeps. Hmmmm-m. Does he like to have his belly rubbed? What about if you had him laid down on the couch and laid the brush next to the 2 of you. When he quits reacting to it, then pick it up and put it down while you continue to pet him and rub his belly. I would do this for couple of weeks before I tried to move on and ask for more. Move in little baby steps. Then maybe try brushing just his back with a pin brush which is pretty gentle. Move slowly enough and I bet you will see progress.

Fiona will growl if you get too rough and run into a lot of tangles or mats. She has always been groomed by us and isn't used to any rough treatment at all. That means it is easier to comb out her hair every other day than to deal with her lack of patience. You wouldn't think that the pretty silky coat would require much grooming but it does. It is tangle prone as can be and we have figured out that you just don't let the legs belly and chest hair get clumpy or it gets mats. Thinning shears are our best friend here.
Over the years he has gotten used to me combing/brushing his back, sides, and belly. If I get near his groin or his feet all bets are off! LOL! He has gotten better over the years and I know he hasn't been patiently dealt with at the groomer. They would have me bring him at the crack of dawn and he would sit in the kennel all day being anxious then they would work on him last. I'm not an expert, but I know you don't let an anxious dog stew in a kennel in a (scary for them) place that's not home and expect them to do well. I was able to scissor cut him a little and was able to get the most important parts. Thank you for your advice! It is very appreciated!

That's good to hear. You might consider using safety grooming scissors on the face and folds until you feel comfortable with those areas. Safety scissors also work well if he won't stay still. Amazon.com : Dog Grooming Scissors By Boshel - Set of 2 Pet Grooming Scissors - Safety Rounded Tips - Micro-serrated Smaller Scissor for Face, Ear, Nose & Paw + Larger, Sharp Scissor for Dog & Cat Body Trimming : Pet Supplies
Thank you! I trim slowly because I'm afraid I'll cut him if he jerks. It takes forever! LOL!

Unlike many here, I have my dogs groomed. I know my limitations and clippers are one of them. I do a very good job of keeping them brushed out though. I'm very lucky that my groomer is a certified master groomer and, even though cocker spaniels aren't her forte she does a very good job with them both. Plus I get the friends and family discount.

I have said hat if I ever move I'll have to have my groomer train me on how to clip my dogs because I don't know if I'd ever find anyone else who could do such a good job.

Back