Pee Pads

KoreanCocker

Hi there! I've recently moved back to the US with my Cocker Spaniel. Now that she's almost 14 years old she needs to pee more frequently. I have to work so I'm trying to train her to use pee pads as well so she doesn't have to hold it all day when I'm working. I've ordered one of those Fresh Patch real grass pads but they only last for a couple weeks before needing to be replaced (and aren't cheap).

Does anyone have any advice for re-training a dog to use pee pads after they've been trained to only go outside? So far she is just sitting on the pee pads. haha

This was the best info I could find online that covers outside-potty-trained to inside-potty-trained: Indoor Potty Training - Papers, Pee Pads, Turf Pads, Litter Boxes and more - Free Dog Training Tips from The Housebreaking Bible They mention you may have problems getting her to potty outside again. I would train her to use the potty pads outside first. Put the potty pad where she normally goes outside. I can image she will be reluctant. Keep leading her to it and give her praise and a treat each time she does better. At first maybe she'll only potty next to the pad. Once she figures out to potty on the pad bring it inside and do the same.

Put a bunch of pads down where want her to go inside (to make it easier for her to figure out). Then remove some one by one. Make sure and keep the designated area the same to be consistent. This is the best I can come up with. I hope it helps.

PS: Hoshi likes to poop walking across the lawn :) No way you would allow that indoors. I guess maybe putting down more that one pad for more freedom.

PS: Hoshi likes to poop walking across the lawn :) No way you would allow that indoors. I guess maybe putting down more that one pad for more freedom.

haha That's so funny! I'll check that link out-- thanks so much! It seems she's just TOO well-trained. I just hate the thought of her holding it uncomfortably waiting for me to come home.

Back