Pet food documentary Jan 10, 2017

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I just found out about this and want to share. There's a new documentary coming out next Tuesday on video about the pet food industry. Dr. Karen Becker's in this too. She's one of the reasons I started feeding Hoshi raw 5 years ago. It will be shown on video on demand, itunes, vimeo, and vudu. Vimeo is the only one that has a rent option.

Hey manuel, do you feed the bones, too? Do you supplement with a vitamin and/or include vegetables, too?

Hey manuel, do you feed the bones, too? Do you supplement with a vitamin and/or include vegetables, too?
I give daily multivitamins. I've tried to liven up his meals with vegetables or rice but it takes more time to make. :(

Interesting...my sister used to have a little silky terrier who was allergic to everything which started about the age of 3 and more or less accelerated over the years until he had to wear a collar all the time to keep from chewing himself bloody. She fed him a diet of cooked meat, kale and a daily multi vitamin--until he became allergic to the vitamin. (IMO, I think the dog was suffering vaccinosis---this was about 20 years ago before the information about over vaccination was widely available. This is part of the reason that I choose to titer instead of just blindly vaccinate.) That being said, I feed my beagle only Fresh Pet because it seems to agree with her digestion--she has always had an iffy, problematic digestive system. Fiona seems to do just fine on a plain, high quality chow once a day but I intend to move her to Fresh Pet for one meal a day, shortly. We also give a supplement of salmon oil once a day with their meal for joints and coats.

I just watched Pet Fooled and really liked it. It's informative, gives background and history of the pet food industry. Here's some key points I came away with:

• species specific diet (canines eat meat, plain and simple)

• The pet food industry is dominated by a handful of companies

• The industry is unaccountable: they regulate themselves

• There are no laws requiring the industry to recall harmful products

• There's better products out there. Smaller companies recognize a demand for wholesome species specific diets. They are gaining market share forcing the big players to change as well.

There's a few baiting or graphic images but a great documentary if you can get past that.

Back