Puppy in garden or house

Emilydaisy

Hi. I'm new here so sorry if this is a repeat question. I'm getting conflicting advice re letting puppy out into your own garden between 1st and 2nd vaccinations? Some say do it, better than toilet training inside only to try n teach them to go outside a few weeks later... Others say keep them in until two weeks after second jab (12 weeks old?) as risk of rats having been on your garden??! Any advice much appreciated thanks

Is your garden a shared garden? Where I live it’s best to try not to have your puppy exposured to unvaccinated dogs but i have never heard not to try to potty train your dog until after the second round of vaccinations. If you’re with your puppy each time you let them out to go potty I would think the risk from rats would be minimal.

Hi, thanks for the reply... no it's just our garden. It was the risk of picking up something if a rat had been about, it's urine etc on grass I guess?

I would just be popping him on grass briefly for toilet training, not letting him wander...

I wouldnt take my 8w puppy to dog parks or let them roam around a vet office floor but no way would I keep them inside all the time. 8-12w is a critical socialization time. Plus, if the dam was immunized, the puppies will inherit some immunity from her for a time.

as far as rats, keep puppy on a leash and go with them - important for potty training anyways. I'm assuming the rats wouldnt be so bold as to run up to your dog and attack a leashed dog?

Never heard that. Callie went out to the farm w/me from the time I got her. And while I haven't seen any evidence of them lately, I have had problems w/rats in the past.

Back