Question about puppy coloring and health

Remember years and years ago, when we first adopted Patrick, I think we were all still on the AOL boards. I sent in a photo of Pak and his measurements to AKC with a check, I wondered if they could tell me if he was a cocker. They sent me back a certificate that said he was an American Cocker of undetermined parentage. LOL.. Later I found out you could send in a chicken and they would send you back a certificate for whatever you wanted. We found out later that Pak was more than likely a mix.. cocker and springer, or what they now call a Sprocker lol.View attachment 12779
(((Pak)))

Jlcorp, I got Callie last year after looking, quite literally, for years. And, while she cost more than I had planned on spending on a dog, the breeder did all kinds of testing on the parents to make sure the litter was healthy. My way of looking at it was, I preferred to pay the money now rather than having to pay it later.

In the area I got her, there are a lot of puppy mills. I could have gotten a dog from one of them years ago and it would have been much cheaper. But, then I would have run the risk of her having problems that could have been prevented by just doing the tests. One red flat that I learned to look out for was dogs that were registered CKC (I think that's what it's called) instead of AKC.

Remember years and years ago, when we first adopted Patrick, I think we were all still on the AOL boards. I sent in a photo of Pak and his measurements to AKC with a check, I wondered if they could tell me if he was a cocker. They sent me back a certificate that said he was an American Cocker of undetermined parentage. LOL.. Later I found out you could send in a chicken and they would send you back a certificate for whatever you wanted. We found out later that Pak was more than likely a mix.. cocker and springer, or what they now call a Sprocker lol.View attachment 12779
Pak was handsome

Well, after much thought I have decided to not get the puppy that has a Merle father. I will be forfeiting the deposit and letting the breeder know this evening. TBH, I really don't care so much about the "breed standard" since I just want a pet and will have the dog neutered. I am more concerned with the health of the dog.
I scoured the internet and found a couple of breeders who also show dogs. I googled their names and found show competition information and no complaints. Any way, I happened upon a litter that still has the male puppies available at 5 weeks and I like the lighter color as it will contrast with my chocolate and white cocker. Overall, I think I am lucky to be buying a puppy in the middle of the winter in the midwest since it seems less people are looking to buy a puppy right now.
They are little darlings and I am going to pick one of them in person on Saturday! I will post pictures.

Sounds like a good plan. Even if you don’t want a show dog, you do want one that has been well and soundly bred. This is a good way to find one.

Back