Question....Help, Please

peggy

Owned by
1 cocker
As most of you know, Bubby has CDS (cognitive dysfunction syndrome) sort of a puppy alzheimers. Any way, the med I give him for this is a generic of Anapryl - seligilline hydrocloride. Ever since he has been taking it, his siliva has a nasty oder. Its not his breathe, I had his teeth cleaned recently so thats not the problem. He needs a puppy mouth wash. The groomer gave me something, off the top of my head, I can't remember the name, that I use a finger tooth brush to rub on his teeth and gums. It smells to me like hydrogen peroxide but thats not one of the ingredients. Bubby doesn't seem to mind it but I can't say it is helping a whole lot either.. Polly or Linny or Mike or any one else - do you have any suggestions??? Thanks in advance. Peggy

Gosh Peggy, I'm unsure, maybe Linny, or Manuel will have an answer. Could it be something in his intestinal trac? I use a oral spray on my crew once or twice a week. It's mainly for teeh, but it is peppermint. But the smell doesn't stay with them. If we can't figure this out, I will ask some of my friends. I think a lot put something in the drinking water. Not sure what it is.

My groomer also mentioned a product that goes in the drinking water. Its a killer when he decides to put his head on my pillow & I wake up to doggy breath. I will check the name of the stuff she gave me tonight and let you know what its called tomorrow. Thanks for the info.. Peggy & Bubby

We sell a product at work that goes in the water also. I'll check it out and let you know tomorrow.

This particular medication causes dry mouth which worsens oral hygiene. If your dog lets you brush his teeth please do so routinely. Schedule routine dental checkups. Offer fresh water throughout the day. Fresh carrots and celery help dry mouth. Over-the-counter artificial saliva can help dry mouth (ask your pharmacist). Besides routine brushing, I would suggest frequent oral care:
  • buy some oral swabs and styrofoam cups
  • pour cold water into a styrofoam cup and dip a oral swab till it's wet.
  • Rub the swab around the teeth, gums and tongue.
  • keep dipping the swab in the cup to keep it wet while you do this.
  • You can do this throughout the day as often as you think needed.

Selegiline Hydrochloride
  • MAO-B inhibitor
    • many severe side effects, please read drug insert
  • Dry mouth is common side effect (see info)
  • Avoid food rich in tyramine (cheese, some meat)

Great information Manuel, thanks for posting it! I have to admit that I've never thought of dogs getting "dry mouth" but now I know it happens, and I know how to make them feel better.

Could it be lip fold pyoderma? I usually make a 50/50 mixture of listerine and water, and put on a wash rag and wipe in the folds of their lippies.

Every now and then I give their teeth a swipe with it too.

I get dry mouth, so I am always eating a life saver or something, but with dogs, I keep lots of ice cubes around. I make them with chicken broth and they love em.

The chicken broth ice cubes are a good idea. Riley is getting the lip fold problem again. I keep the fold clean and treat it with the Listerene but it never seems to totally away.

Great idea Linny! Low cal also.. maybe I'll eat them :p

Thanks for all the info.... I knew you would come through!!!!! Lots of good ideas. Thanks Manuel for all that info. Bubby does eat at least a slice of cheese a day. I hide his pills in it. He takes 8 a day that require hiding. The Cosequin he just chews up. I will try some of these suggestions and see if they help. Thanks again!!! Peggy & Bubby aka Stinky Boy :)

Back