Questions about dental cleaning - UPDATE

Bella Rose

Owned by
2 cockers
Hi
Yesterday I took the girls in for their annual vet visit and knew I had to discuss Zoey's teeth.
(We have had her almost a year, they needed cleaning then, however I held off because she had already been under anesthetic 3 times in 6 weeks.). With a visual exam, our vet estimated a cost of $1400-$2500 as she would also need almost half her teeth pulled!
Zoey is just 3 years old, and along with the cost, I am really struggling that pulling all these teeth is the only option.
Does anyone have experience with a more specialized vet dentist? Does such a person even exist?

It's been a while since any of my dogs have had dentals or had to have teeth pulled. I suspect that Farley won't be long in needing a dental. Despite my brushing his teeth, he has some plaque build up. My vet says some dogs are plaque builders and Farley's teeth would be worse if I didn't brush. Maybe Zoey is one too.

Back when poor Riley had to have a lot of teeth pulled it cost about $1500 but I can't remember the exact amount for sure.

If I were you I'd first talk to my vet and see why he thinks so many teeth need to be pulled. Then I'd ask if they had a doggie vet dentist they could recommend. Then I'd use google, ask people you know for recommendations, and call for a second opinion. I will tell you my vet really tried to save as many of Riley's teeth as he could. He cleaned them, he packed the roots with antibiotics, and did everything to try to save those teeth but eventually they couldn't be saved.

I'm sorry to hear about Zoey's teeth. I haven't dealt with having that many teeth pulled. I would question the need as well and get a 2nd opinion. They took 2 of Hoshi's bottom front teeth out which upset me. The vet said they were "loose" so she took them out. Anyways, if you trust your vet I would go ahead with their recommendation.

[QUOTE="manuel, post: 118741, member: 1" Anyways, if you trust your vet I would go ahead with their recommendation.[/QUOTE]

I think that is my biggest problem. For the first time, I am not trusting my vet in this case.

UPDATE:

Disclaimer - without question Zoey's teeth were extremely dirty, (extensive buildup, staining, poor breath) and needing cleaning, that was never the issue.

I took Zoey for 2 additional 2nd opinions regarding the need to pull half her teeth.
The first I wasn't comfortable with, he also felt she would need a lot of teeth pulled, and I really couldn't bring myself to accept that for a 3 y/o

The 3rd vet we saw I was really impressed with, I would actually switch to her if she wasn't a full hour and 45 min away on highway travel.
When we talked she did a more through visual exam, pressing on gums and wiggling teeth. I explained my concerns about not wanting such a young dog to loose so many teeth (as I did with both previous vets).
While she couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't need to pull some teeth, she didn't feel like it would be necessary to pull so many.

I do understand that once they are actually in there, they may discover a need to remove a tooth.
However once she began, she discovered the root of the problem was actually that Zoey had extra gum tissue growing down over her teeth. (Sorry I can't remember what the term was :confused: )
So basically every time she ate, food particles would get stuck up under this extra tissue. This was the tissue that was inflamed and causing the trouble.
Without addressing this extra gum tissue OR removing all her teeth, she would continue to have issues.

In this picture you can see the first 4 teeth have had the extra gum tissue removed.
View media item 2681
I don't have any before pictures, but this extra tissue covered up all her teeth at least 50% of the length of the tooth.
She always looked like she had very tiny teeth.

Top is complete, but you can see some discoloration prior to polishing showing where that extra gum line came to
View media item 2682
All done :)
View media item 2683
Her mouth was a bit sore and she was groggy the first day, but she still ate supper, and since then has shown no side effects.
We still have the rest of her antibiotics to complete, but she is fully back to eating and her breath doesn't make you gag anymore!

That vet did an amazing job for a dog that needed half her teeth pulled. Zoey's got some nice pearly whites. I noticed Zoey's teeth aren't perfectly straight. Hoshi has the same problem. I wonder if that's an issue with these small muzzle cockers. Gabby didn't have that problem--he was an old fashion cocker.

Lily her teeth look wonderful. I have never heard of too much gums. Congrats on finding such a great vet.

Good for you for being a good advocate for your dog and finding a vet who was able to find the underlying problem!! It will be interesting to see if her teeth form less tartar and plaque since the problem has been identified and corrected.

Glad she is doing better. Chicka had to have 12 teeth pulled, she was 6 but they were just the opposite, hers gums didn't cover the roots and food was trapped, teeth loose and infection. Ive got to get her back in and I imagine she'll need more pulled, some dogs just have crappy teeth.

Back