memorial Rainbow bridge

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I thought that this is the perfect time to start a Rainbow Bridge thread. We are coming up on the first anniversary of our loss of the three.

So I will start this tribute to the four cockers that Michael and I lost in 2008.

Pumpkin aka bunkie

Bunkie was my heart dog. He was a goofy, loving, stubborn, wonderful, old soul who shined like the light from above. He was brave, uncomplaining, and wonderful.

Bunkie came to us from Pam J of our forum. Linny and Pam knew that Michael and I wanted a brown. They talked, and, when Pam rescued Bunkie in Northern California, Linny & Pam knew he was for us.. and he came to us. We were his 6th and final home. He was special to us and to Pam.

Bunkie had many physical problems, but, he never let them get him down. He had been hit by a car way before Pam rescued him. That caused his nerve problems in his back. By the time he was ready to go to the bridge he could hardly walk any longer and couldn't control his bowles.

I loved him with the love so fierce it still takes a big part of my heart.
He loved balls, and would hold them in his mouth even when he could no longer run to play with them.

Bunkie was joy. And we were so lucky to be blessed with him. He taught us so much.

Bunkie we love you.

Attachments

• emailpunkiehead.jpg
    emailpunkiehead.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Bunkie.jpg
    Bunkie.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 72
  • bunktunie.jpg
    bunktunie.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 63
  • punkpep.jpg
    punkpep.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 75
  • bunkieandball.jpg
    bunkieandball.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Pookie

Pookie was a beautiful little girl who was so lucky. She lived a very long and healthy life. Michael and I got her thru the rescue system of Occidental College in Los Angeles where I worked at the time. She was a quiet girl who loved all of our pak through the years. She especially loved our little PeeWee and grieved terribly when we lost Pee.

We were blessed with Pookie for many years, She was with us from December of 1991 to March 21, 2008 when she went to the bridge at about 19 years old we think.

Attachments

• emailpook.jpg
    emailpook.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Pook.jpg
    Pook.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Pookie.jpg
    Pookie.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 63
  • pookonbed.jpg
    pookonbed.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 64
  • pooksfavoritespot.jpg
    pooksfavoritespot.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 72
Patrick

Pak was our gentle Alpha.

Pak was the joy that was the result of a terrible sorrow. Many know Pak's story, but, I will repeat it here for those that don't. PeeWee was a little girl that came to us from a co-worker's of my daughter in law's. She bought PeeWee from a BYB, and raised her from a pup. Pee bit the lady's son twice. I figured that the boy may have mistreated Pee and we went to meet her and brought her home. The Lady was going to take her to the pound. PeeWee had rage.. she bit out of the blue with out a blink of an eye. After the 7th time she bit, my vet said the only thing we could do was put her down. He really didn't give us a choice, he was very firm with us. So we did. I knew it was the right choice. Many of you know of my best friend Jacie who is the Vice President of Human Resources at Occidental College, and a cocker person herself because of Michael and me. When Jac heard what had happened, and knew how devistated we were, she contacted a big rescue group out here, The Amanda Foundation. They called me and offered me a dog they had in rescue. At the time the lady who called said she didn't know why my vet didn't offer to pull Pee's teeth. That just made me feel so much worse! If there had been any way I could have saved Pee I would have. I went right back to my vet with this. He said that if he felt it was an alternative he would have suggested it. But, he didn't feel that it was. That PeeWee suffered a mental condition and she was so much better off at the Bridge.

I called the Amanda Foundation back and spoke to the president, I told her what her person said, and what my vet said. I was upset to say the least. She felt bad, and told me of a cocker at a Los Angeles Pound that was going to be PTS that day. She asked if I would be willing to visit him and see if he would be a fit in my family. My sister took me because I was too upset to drive. We walked into the shelter, to the back cage, and there was a grey matted mess of a dog sitting in the back shaking. He had givin up I think. I took him. He had to be neutered and was ready
on St. Patrick's Day, 3/15/2000. Michael and I picked him up, and of course his name was Patrick. He went directly from the vet in LA that did his neuter to our vet. He had mange, his coat was grey instead of black and white.

We were blessed with our boy for 8 wonderful years. He was our Gentle Alpha, the leader, one of his favorite things to do would be to sit on the back corner of our bed and sing.. his bay was wonderful. His head would go up and he would almost yoddel!!
One of my favorite memories of Pak was of a visit to PetCo on his birthday. I led him into the store, he went right to the stuffies and picked out a huge green frog. He carried that frog to the checkout counter. I had to play tug of war with him to get him to let it go long enough for me to pay for it LOL.

Pak had given up hope at that pound. He knew his time was closing in on him. For that reason he enjoyed his life with us up to the end. His ending was of Renal Failure. It was painful for him. But Pak was brave.

We miss you Patrick our gentle alpha.

The third pix in Pak's group here is of him meeting Patch and Dee Dee for the first time.

Attachments

• maypak.jpg
    maypak.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Pakrunning.jpg
    Pakrunning.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 66
  • PatchMeetingPak.jpg
    PatchMeetingPak.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 61
  • pollyb&w1.jpg
    pollyb&w1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 67
  • PakinKitchen.jpg
    PakinKitchen.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Carmen

My last tribute and loss for 2008 I never really got to hold. Most of you know the story of Carmen. Carmen was Robin's foundation bitch. When Robin decided to retire her, I immediately stepped up to the plate. Carmen just called to me. You all will notice that she had Bunkie's coloring. Her spirit just called to me. I didn't know Robin that well at the time, we talked and she decided that maybe Michal and I would be a good fit for her girl. So she asked for references. Many of you emailed her on our behalf and I can never thank you enough. Because of your emails, Robin made the final decision to gift us with her beautiful little girl. This was around Halloween of last year. That Friday Carmen came home from having her spay. Robin said she was doing great! We made final plans for her air trip to LA for the following Tuesday. I got a frantic email from Robin the Sunday before. Robin said for me to call her as soon as I got the email. I did. Carmen had passed away in her sleep that night, sometime between Saturday night and Sunday Morning. She passed away peacefully. To say that Robin was devistated is to say the least. Carmen is Robin's siggy line on everyhting she does including our forum.

The holidays were fast approaching. Robin kept in touch, we became even closer friends because we had this terrible loss in common. Then around the middle of November Robin stopped emailing me for a couple of weeks. I just figured that she was very busy. After all she is a master groomer and I knew her calender was stuffed to the max with clients who wanted their dogs to look perfect for the holidays.

Michael and I took Pogo to the vets for a check on a fatty growth he has on his chest. I did a blanket email of joy because our vet said it was nothing to worry about at this time. One response I got was from Robin.
LOL.. her response just about knocked me off my chair!!!

She offered me Stormy. She said she had been doing some serious thinking and soul shearching and decided that we needed a heart healer, and that she felt that Stormy would help us heal. Now you must remember that Stomy was her favorite of all time. What she offered us was beyond measure. At first I said I wasn't sure. It was too close to our loss of Carmen and that I felt a female would be a better fit with Pepper.. but I wasn't comfortable with the decision.. so.. of couse what do I do??? I give Linny a call... she more or less told me (in a nice way) that I was crazy LOL.. that Stormy is a therapy dog. That it takes a very special temperment to acquire that title. And that males are usually much better fits anyway. That females can be bitches (pardon the pun)

So Carmen was the start of everything for Michael, Robin, Richard and I. The start of a close friendship. And Carmen brought the most special gift of all to us. She brought us Stormy.

We have a king size bed that has a bookcase headboard. On top of the bookcase stands, Patrick, Pookie and a little of Carmen. They watch over us. I know Bunkie is there in spirit also.

I treasure my bridge kids.

Attachments

• Carmen.jpg
    Carmen.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
oh crap Polly,

sniff sniff -- I remember them all very well and know what it's like to loose so many in one year :-(

Loosing one at a time is almost more than I can bear. I can't imagine loosing four so close together. Pass the kleenex, Linny.

I wonder why it is time blurs so many painful memories but that last time you looked into those beautiful eyes never dims?

Samantha.jpg

Samantha was a gift from my ex-husband for our first Christmas. She was this tiny, trembling body of golden fluff and after one look into her eyes, and I was lost forever. She saw me through the heartbreak of a miscarriage and a divorce. To this day, the memory of holding her in my arms and crying into her fur is the only really clear memory I have of that time. Unfortunately our time together was way too short. She had a lot of health problems all of her life. I didn't realise until afterwards she was the product of a puppy mill breeder who was only in it for the money. When she was 7 weeks old, she almost died from an intestinal infection. Years later it would be the damage to her intestines from the infection that would take her away from me.

At the age of 7, she had to have major surgery when her small intestines twisted. The vet had to remove almost 1/3 of the small intestine. With a lot of love and care she bounced back, but seemed frailer than before. On her 10th birthday she seemed so much stronger, but a short 2 months later I knew we were in trouble. There were several bouts of diarrhea that left her weak. Just before Halloween, it became obvious her time was short. There were several panicked trips to the vet, fluids and medication that made a difference for a while. Then that first week in November, she seemed to stablize and grow a little stronger. My vet was amazed she was still holding on. On the evening of November 4, though she began to have trouble standing and finally couldn't walk at all. I spent the entire night holding her in my arms, telling her I was going to make it better.

The morning of November 5, I had already made the decision it was time to let my baby go. I took her outside one last time and we sat in the grass together for a while. Then we left for the vets. This wonderful man took us into his office and left us there for a while. When he returned to see if I was ready it was obvious it was time. I held that beautiful face in my hands one last time, kissed her and told her it was time. She focused on me that one last time and gave me a kiss. It was like she was waiting for something that had finally happened and she just let go. I think she didn't want me to have to be the one to send her on her way and she left quietly.

I still have no memory of how I made it home or of burying her in the lilly bed where she loved to lay. It was days before I could even cry and then it seemed like once I started, I couldn't stop. I hated coming home from work, I hated getting up in the morning and most of all, I hated being home when she wasn't there.

A couple of weeks after her death I knew getting another cocker wasn't only what I wanted, it was what I needed. I started making notes of breeders and looking for that "perfect" puppy. What I didn't know at the time was my best friend had reached the same conclusion for me. A mutual friend had a pair that had just had puppies. She contacted him even though the puppies were only a couple of days old. Her goal was to give me the puppy for Christmas. She saw Cassie when she was just a couple of days old, and told me later she knew somehow the minute she saw her, that that was my puppy.

Shirley got permission to bring Cassie to our office party on December 21. She borrowed one of the pediatric wagons, tied a big red bow around her neck and brought her into the room in the wagon. There was one of those dramatic hushes you read about as she put her into my arms. We were both crying so hard I'm surprised we could even see her! I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire place and everyone kept coming in to meet her.

Cassie6weeks-1.jpg

A couple of days later, her breeder came by to see how she was doing. We got to talking and I told him about Samantha. When I mentioned the date and time of her death, he stopped dead in his tracks. That's when he told me Cassie's mother had gone into labor early that morning and exactly 12 hours after Samantha's death, Cassie was born. She was the last puppy to come and they were beginning to think they were going to have deliver her by c-section. We just happened to be in the back yard because I was trying to get Cassie to go potty.

I lost sight of her for a few minutes and when I found her, she was curled up on Samantha's grave, sound asleep. When I picked her up. she looked up at me with those beautiful brown eyes and gave me a kiss. At that moment I felt as though a great circle had completed and I knew the reason Samantha had held on so long was because she wanted to make sure Cassie had arrived.

Cassie was a part of my life for almost 17 years. Through her I met some of the most wonderful people and furbabies on this planet. She was my heart. When she was 13, I'd made the decision to add another cocker to my family. This came about because I was lucky enough the spend a wonderful weekend getting to know a group of people and their cockers. I'd always believed that Cassie would never allow another dog in the house. She was very jealous of my attention and scared of people she didn't know. I saw a totally different picture of my girl when she not only played joyfully with the other cockers but went up to people she'd never met before. That was in July.

In November I attended a local dog show and took Cassie with me. One of the first people who came up to talk to me did so because she wanted to meet Cassie. After we started talking I kept thinking she looked familiar but just couldn't place her. Come to find out she had been my first cocker's groomer for years before she got too fragile to go to the groomers. It just so happened I was looking for another groomer for Cassie and in our conversation she told me she groomed dogs in her home, accepting clients by referral only. Well, Cassie was my referral. I made an appointment for grooming in a couple of weeks. Cassie loved being at Nancy's. She would run into the house and run straight to her every time. I told Nancy about wanting to add another and we discussed who might have an available dog since I didn't really want to go the puppy route. Her suggestion I adopt Bertie just floored me and after a lot of discussion we decided to try.

birdiefamily.jpg

When I lost Cassie Nancy told me she'd already picked out my next dog. Every time I'd go into the grroming room, this gorgeous black girl would beg me to pick her up. That day two weeks after Cassie died, Chesnee knew I needed to hold a cocker and as I held her in my arms I could almost feel Cassie's soft tongue in the kisses Chesnee gave me. So just like Samantha brought me to Cassie, Cassie brought me to Chesnee.

IMG_0119.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Diane
Of course I knew Cassie's story and Bertie and Chesnies. But, of all the time I've known you, I didn't know about Samantha. Thank you for sharing a wonderful story. You love of your cockers shines like a beacon!

Patches

Even tho Patches was with us for only 5 years, I am hoping that we provided him the very best life he could have had for his last 5 years. All though blind and deaf at the end, he was a very loving and sweet boy. I think that when we got Vicki she was able to breath new life into him and it gave him a longer loving life. Tho he is gone he is in my heart every single day, as he sits with my two other dogs and my mom, on a special place in my room. I miss you my sweet boy, you gave me so much joy and filled that void in my life. I miss you sitting at my feet and always being by my side. I love you baby boy

Diane

(((Diane)))
Beautiful tribute. I bet he was a wonderful boy.

Loosing one at a time is almost more than I can bear. I can't imagine loosing four so close together. Pass the kleenex, Linny.

I remember that time too, Polly. It saddened all of us and was horrible. I'm so glad Robin sent you Stormy. I hear the "sparkle" back in your voice as you write again. Now please pass the Kleenex down this way.

I knew what was in store for me but I read through and cried. :vsad: Those were all touching stories. Rainbow Bridge gets its own forum.

OK, sniff sniff and more sniff - I love seeing their pictures and reading your stories.

To tell you all the truth. I don't think I would have been able to re-visit that horrible time without Robin's gift of the Storm-in-ator.

My two were Cockers that I lost (had many different breeds befor them).

Ashley~ she was a blond and I got her from a BYB at the age of 5 weeks old (TOO YOUNG).. We had gotten her after I lost a Basset Hound to diabitis back than. He was our one and only male.Ashley had so many medical problems from a terable skin desease,ear problems,and seizers. I lost her on the way to the Vet (she died in my arms) due to so many meds she was taking for all her aliements. She was just 8 years old. She was the best natured dog I had ever had even with all her problems. Ashley traveled with us and seen a lot of the US as even with all her problems we never left her home.

Emily~ 3 days after loosing Ashley, I kne some people that had gotten two Cockers from a well known kennel/breeders of Cockers (Gallents Cockers).
I called and they had one left. I wanted to make sure if I got another Cocker it came from good stock as I had well paid my dues my Vet said to taking care of one with so many medical problems for 8 years. (2 baths a week included for her skin.)
Emily as 9 weeks old and what a love...she was very healthy up till about 8 years old and started to have some heart issues. We got that undercontrol with meds and diet. At the age 101/2 she all of a sudden had kidney problems and we did everything we could to stop it but nothing worked,even flushing at the end. She lost weight and stopped eating so fast~ with in a week,we had to make that terable dicission to let her go :crybaby:
Emily is burried in a Pet Cemetary close by. I visit her often when weather permits. She was and still is my HEART DOG!!
March 4,2009 will make 7 years that I have been with out her.
She is missed as much today as than forsure.

Here is a pictue of AShley my blond Cocker.
Emily is below in my ziggy line.

Attachments

• Picture 649.jpg
    Picture 649.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 36
Back