memorial Rainbow bridge

omg i agree with diane,loosing one at a time is way to much.

when i lost ashley i so remember what an old fisherman friend of my husband said to me. The ones that give us so much love hurt us the most when we half to say good by and how thru this is.

Odie came into our lives about 8 months after I lost my Patches. Patches was a Christmas gift from my future husband and we had him for 12 wonderful years. He died of complications of canine diabetes while we were on vacation in 1992. I felt so bad that we were not there for him when he went to the Bridge, but the vet said he was in a kind of coma for a full day before he passed and would not have known if we were there. He dies peacefully on his own.

We were both devastated by this loss and I put getting another dog on the back burner for a while. Christmas came and went and as Valentines day approached, my husband said he thought it was about time I started looking for another friend. He was right and I started making phone calls. I found a Cocker Spaniel breeder in Wayne, New Jersey and he said he had two litters and one puppy from a third left over. I went up that Saturday to visit and he brought me into the “puppy greeting room” as he called it. He opened the door to the kennel and 11 little balls of fur attacked me! I sat on the floor and they all came running to me. One litter was 8 weeks, the other litter was 10 weeks and the lone remaining puppy was 12 weeks. After a while they all left me and started playing by themselves, except the little lone guy. He ran up to me, let me pet him and ran off, but came back and jumped in my lap. His eyes said “take me” and my eyes started welling with tears and I said to the breeder, “I want him.”

The breeders wife said “oh how did that dummy get in with the rest” and started to take him away from me. I held on tight and said “I want this one”. She said he had some problems because he was the last puppy born of a first time mom and she didn’t get his sack off quick enough. He suffered some oxygen deprivation and was a little “slow”. I said I didn’t care, I wanted him.

An hour later, with all the papers signed, a case of moist puppy food, a bag of dry food, some toys and a baby gate in tow, we were on our way home. Odie gave me 12 ½ years of unconditional love and saved me from a fire in our kitchen. He was very healthy with the exception that he took a little longer to housetrain and found it difficult with certain commands, but he was our angel. When he was about 11 ½ we noticed he had lost a lot of weight and was always sleeping and didn’t want to play. We took him to the vet and he told us he had renal failure. He told us that he could last from a month to 6 months, but the end was coming, there was no cure and no medicine we could give him.

We took him home and gave him the special food the vet gave us and spiced it up as best we could with turkey and gravy and it was a little over a year when the symptoms started again, this time worse than before. We took him to the vet who was amazed that every time he saw Odie for shots or for a check up, how well he was doing. But renal failure can hit hard at any time and this time his kidneys shut down completely. When he could not play with his favorite blue dog or even stand sometimes, we knew it was time to send him to the Bridge. To keep him here would be selfish on our part and he deserved better than that. On June 16, 2005 we sent our faithful friend to the bridge. We held him and petted him and spoke to him very gently about how we would all be together again, and he should look for Patches and our cat Sammy who would keep him company until we were together again.

I love Pluto and Woody, but there is a place for that special “heart dog” that never heals and Odie was that dog.

I can only read one or two of these at a time. My co-worker walked in and I was crying and he wanted to know what was wrong. Its so hard to explain to someone who has never lost a beloved pet. Peggy & Bubby

(((Carol)))
What a beautiful tribute to Odie. I didn't realize he had renal failure. It's terrible isn't it. My Pak went to the bridge with it.

I also forgot that Odie was an English. He was beautiful. No wonder you chose a English when you found Woody.

This is killing me reading all of these.....

Some I have known and met and the others I feel like I know because we have all shared so much with each other over the years. What great memories and stories to share!

Quigley came into my life on July 1, 1998. He was 20 months old at the time. Our family dog had died, and I begged my parents to let me bring another dog into the home. I was going away to University, so I promised to find a place where I could have a dog. My parents finally relented, although my dad said he would NOT love this dog (he was heartbroken when our family dog died). He wanted nothing to do with it. I researched breeds, looking for a dog that would be active outside, but mellow while I was inside studying. Cockers seemed to fit the bill, so I combed the newspaper ads, looking for the right dog at the right price. I found Quigley - $100 for a neutered dog with UTD vaccinations. What a steal! So my mom and I drove 4 hours to pick him up, and then 4 hours home, all in one day. We had no idea what we were getting into.

This "breeder" kept ALL of the dogs in the garage, even during the winter (which gets very, very cold here). They had no toys, no real luxuries. A few blankets on the garage floor (cement) and some kibble thrown into a communal bowl. The dogs were not very well socialized, and not housetrained. The woman barely knew what a particolour was. But at that point, I was taking this dog home. He was CKC registered, neutered and had his shots.

This poor dog was terrified of everything and anyone. If anybody stopped to pet him or talk to him, he would urinate submissively. He had major separation anxiety, and would scream and trash areas that he was enclosed in. He was stuck to me like glue, and would panic if I went into an area of the house without him. He housetrained EXTREMELY easily, and was very gentle. Just afraid. My father loved this dog . . . they would lay in bed together, snacking on treats or whatever. It was heartbreaking to take this dog away from my dad, but he was my dog. I offered to leave him with my dad, but he said no.

It took an entire year to convince Quigley that people weren't going to hurt him anymore. I was never able to convince him that the next meal was ALWAYS going to be there. This dog was a miraculous food thief, he could get food from anywhere. We took some CGC classes at Petsmart, and he earned his CGC. We took agility classes for about 3 years, and he loved that too. He would never agree to do a run without food, so we never competed. It didn't matter, he loved each obstacle, even the teeter.

Quigley turned into the most dignified, loving, dedicated dog that ever existed. He was THE most reliable dog with babies, seniors and everybody in between. He was a true ambassador for the breed, and converted hundreds of people to our breed. He went grey many years ahead of his time, so his nickname at dog shows was "grandpa." Everybody slipped him a goody at dog shows.

He wasn't terribly happy when I brought Farley home, and he spent almost a whole year simply ignoring the new dog. After that, he welcomed every new addition to the household, whether temporary or permanent. He would just accept them with gracious reserve. In fact, with the younger ones, he would steal their food if I didn't watch closely!

Quigley worked as a therapy dog for about 18 months, when I was a physiotherapist. Every Thursday he would accompany me to a senior care center, and he'd entertain the patients all day long. He would let them push him in their wheelchairs, or on their wheeled walkers. He would do all kinds of tricks for them, and he was so loving and gentle. He lived for that therapy work . . . and he was incredible at it.

On July 3rd 2006 I discovered a huge tumor in his mouth, about the size of a golfball. I knew it was less than 2 weeks old, so I knew it was bad news. I took him to the vet, and they took it out as soon as possible, but we both were almost positive it was cancer. It had spread to his tongue and several of his organs, so I knew his time was limited. But somehow, I thought we'd have more than a month together. I cried every night that month, thinking of losing my precious boy. I quit eating, and spent as much time with him as I could. It wasn't enough, but it never is. On July 31, 2006 I helped him to the Rainbow Bridge. His body couldn't handle the pain anymore, and I couldn't stand to see him suffer. His last weekend was a feast for him - he got lobster, chocolate and almost anything else he wanted. My parents, Farley and I took him to the vet clinic that Monday morning and said goodbye.

When Quigley died, he took a large chunk of my heart with him. Although he wasn't an official rescue dog, I truly feel I rescued him. And so, his legacy to me (and to the breed) is my dedication to rescue.

Attachments

• Quigley1999_2.jpg
    Quigley1999_2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Quigley_Tashie.JPG
    Quigley_Tashie.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
I've been reading these stories for years on our Web site. I feel as if I've experienced a bit those merry cocker's lives when I read each story and see their pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Oh Kelly
What a beautiful tribute to Quigley. He was a beautiful boy.

Oh my gosh Diane, my eyes are leaking for you after reading this..sometimes letting our babies go is the last kindess, thing we can do for dear freinds.
I am glad you have a new little bundle to bring you healing and a bit of comfort. ((((big hugs))))

I wonder why it is time blurs so many painful memories...I knew the reason Samantha had held on so long was because she wanted to make sure Cassie had arrived.

Polly, I certainly remember all of your Bridge pups with such affection.

Funny I should pick today to rejoin this group and read your posts. Sunday, march 15, will be the 4th anniversary of my Charlie's trip to the Bridge. Charlie was my heart dog. I have sort of said that about every dog I had, but Charlie stands out. My now deceased husband, Russ, got him from a BYB (we didn't know much about BYBs) in the next town. He had read an ad in the paper, one black male left, called me at work and I said "Yes." 5 minutes later I called him back and said we needed to talk about it more. He said (and I remember this exactly, as I laughed) "Talk fast...I said I'd go there and get him in 20 minutes."

When I came home, there was this 10 week old black little boy casing out the house and us. I was in love at first sight! He grew up to be a darling, although a little tempermental at times with people (he almost bit Linny, of all people!) But he was my angel.

At 12 he developed 2 kinds of cancer. We put him through chemo, but it came back and we sent him on to the Bridge to join his unknown siblings, Skipper, Reggie, Seri, and Pema. I hope they greeted him with all the affection he deserved.

A couple months later Linny called me (she never calls...I panicked!) to say she "had my dog." No discussion necessary...it was MY dog. Never mess with Linny. We drove to her place and picked up Frankie. She was right. MY dog.

Judy

Oh Judy
How I remember those times.. the pain you and Paul went through with Charlie and the love that you have for Frankie..

BTW... if you didn't know, I'm painting again :naughty:
Get me your favorite pix of Frankie! It's time you had him next to your painting of Charlie.

Polly, I love that picture you did of Charlie. The original had him sitting on the back of a sofa looking out the window. He looked so elegant! Your portrait is in front of me on the wall as I write this. I certainly will get a picture of Frankie to you. He is very photogenic. Sees the camera and poses! Such a ham!

Not that I'm a stage mother or anything, but I DON'T see Charlie in your album of your paintings!!!!!!!!! Hop to it, Lady!!!! lol

Judy

I've been writing several posts at this sitting, but the last one said it has to be approved by a moderator before posting......what the heck does that mean? Happened earlier today, too. I know you will approve it, but why does that happen? I'm a virgo and need to know details!! lol

Judy

I've been writing several posts at this sitting, but the last one said it has to be approved by a moderator before posting......what the heck does that mean? Happened earlier today, too. I know you will approve it, but why does that happen? I'm a virgo and need to know details!! lol

Judy

I'm a virgo too. Our Memorial Forum is special. I personally approve each message as a thank you for those who have placed so much feeling in writing their pet's memorial. :luv:

I'm a virgo too. Our Memorial Forum is special. I personally approve each message as a thank you for those who have placed so much feeling in writing their pet's memorial. :luv:

Aww...that's nice. Thank you.

Frankie is a Virgo, too (Sept. 1) I am Sept. 4, and as Linny suggested, we can "share cake!" Not literally, though. I am a chocolate fiend!

Judy

Polly, I love that picture you did of Charlie. The original had him sitting on the back of a sofa looking out the window. He looked so elegant! Your portrait is in front of me on the wall as I write this. I certainly will get a picture of Frankie to you. He is very photogenic. Sees the camera and poses! Such a ham!

Not that I'm a stage mother or anything, but I DON'T see Charlie in your album of your paintings!!!!!!!!! Hop to it, Lady!!!! lol

Judy

OMG!!! I missed Charley! He's going in there right now!!!

and you did others, beagles, even a horse if I remember correctly

Oh yes Linny.. a mule named Charlie. And GSD's and cats and silkies I think.. can't keep them straight. And LOTS of beagles. I just posted some of my cockers here.:naughty:

Back