Shampoo suggestions

Ann989

My 8 yr old cocker has always had allergy problems. In the last year he has developed a lot of bumps , some are large, oozy and end up like horrible dandruff. We have been to the vet numerous times. At first the bumps/ knots they put off to him being older,. Once they treated with antibiotics, cleansing pads , and medicated spray. We have him on special food, he takes apoquel daily . It is cold outside now and he stays in almost all the time. The vet gave us HyLyt shampoo to use. but it is not helping. I try to bathe him once a week, more if needed- but I am afraid I will irritate his skin more.
Is there any product y’all have tried that helps ?

I use a conditioner containing oatmeal on my pet for itchy skin. You might consider changing his diet. Let the vet know there is no improvement with the current one. I've been reading a lot lately about inflammatory causes from diet including red meat and processed meat.

I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble with your baby. I have seen several of my cocker friends who's cocker has terrible skin issues go
to a homeopathic vet and have much better results. Most will try to discover what your baby is allergic to and consider treatments from
there.

We just changed his food from Purina One to Hills Prescription Diet for Skin Allergies. He loves it. The allergy tests show dust mite/storage mite allergies also. We plan to start allergy shots also to see if we can get things under control. He was also prescribed an antibiotic to take care of the skin infection. Surgery this week to remove the large spots that are inflamed, and they will be tested to determine if there is anything else can be determined for disease. Want my little baby to feel better.
For anyone else dealing with this, I am trial and error on the shampoo. I started baths with Micro-Tek every 3 days and combing him out really good nightly.

We just changed his food from Purina One to Hills Prescription Diet for Skin Allergies. He loves it. The allergy tests show dust mite/storage mite allergies also. We plan to start allergy shots also to see if we can get things under control. He was also prescribed an antibiotic to take care of the skin infection. Surgery this week to remove the large spots that are inflamed, and they will be tested to determine if there is anything else can be determined for disease. Want my little baby to feel better.
For anyone else dealing with this, I am trial and error on the shampoo. I started baths with Micro-Tek every 3 days and combing him out really good nightly.
I hope the food change does the trick!

Glad to hear he is doing better. I just heard about storage mites the other day. Throwing my old dry food away.

Back