Suggestions for basic grooming tools

enh98

I'm starting to shop for puppy Parker! I plan on taking him to the groomer for actual cuts but need to purchase basic tools to keep his coat tangle free and brushed. What kind of comb/brush should I be looking for? Right now we have a furminator that we use on our beagle. I plan to keep Parker in more of a "puppy cut". Also, do I need any special solution for ear maintenance? Thank you for your help, this forum has been such a great way for me to prepare for Parker's arrival!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can let you know a few if my favorites. I love the Chris Christenson wooden pin brush. Another brush that is very similar but less expensive is the bass brush, wooden pin prush. I have a couple of those I really like them as well. As far as a slicker brush I really like the Chris Christenson slicker. The comb, I reallyije the greyhound combs. Ear cleaner, I really like the canine liquid health. The furminator does not really work to well on the cockers. Shampoos: I like the blueberry facial by south bark for the face. I also like the tearless shampoo by espree. Shampoos, I have several that I have used and like. I really like Ashley Craig pet products. I also like K9 competition, pet silk, espree and rockin paws. These are just some of the grooming things that I like. Another must is a snood. ( you slip these over their heads, they keep ears out of their food when they eat).
Best of luck with everything, glad you are getting a head start.

y5u7a7ym.jpg
Examples of snoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful snoods Nicole! Pye is still wearing the baby one you sent him. It still fits him perfectly.

Grooming supplies for Cockers can be expensive,add as you can,he will be 6 to 8 months before he gets a super long thick coat but he will still require clipping every 6 weeks now...for a puppy a metal comb and small soft tipped pin brush can get you started. I also have the wood pin brush and love it,very gentle on hair and skin. Even if you let a groomer clip your boy,spend some time each day brushing,rubbing his ears and paws to get him use to the handling...these things will help in the life long grooming he will require.

I also like the Chris Christenson brushes and the Greyhound combs. I do like the All Systems pin brush. The a Bass one would not work on Ki's coat. I think it was the little balls on the end of the bristles. I also like Show Coat grooming spray. Everyone likes something a little different and dogs coats vary so some things work better on one dog than another.

One thing that almost everyone will recommend is that you start grooming your puppy with short gentle grooming sessions right away. I gave treats for good behavior too. Your dog is going to be groomed a lot and if it's something they are used to and they look forward to it, it's so much easier on both of you.

Last edited:
I live in a very small home, it's really a vacation cabin in the woods. When you have lots of room, a grooming table is a great
addition to your grooming tools. Especially if you groom yourself. I know Karen couldn't see how she did without one for so long, she doesn't groom her boys, but, she had Ki in a full show coat for the first couple of years of his life while she showed him to his Champion title. She and the others here will tell you how important the right table is. I'm so lucky that my kitchen counters are just the right height for me.

I like to do my daily brushing first thing in the morning, to get it done. Sometimes my boys will hide LOL..

I have the Chris Christenson wood brush, a very nice pin brush (I can't remember the brand) A soft and medium slicker brush made by master grooming, and a slicker with longer pins on both sides also made by Master Grooming. My combs are also by
Master Grooming.

I'm old fashioned, I still like the Oster Golden A5 Clippers, the ones I started with when I got my first cocker over 20 years ago.

I have 3 cockers, one cut down completely due to his age the other two in partial long coats, they have long leg feathers and short every where else. I still need to be sure there are no matts, but, I love the long leg feathering.

I also think teeth are very important. Karen has Ki and Farley trained to sit and wait for their turn with their toothbrush and toothpaste. Mine, not so much. I use the enzime chicken flavor toothpaste along with a mouth spray that cuts plaque. My
dogs have not had to have dentals unless they need a tooth pulled, not for plaque at all.

Ears are so important also. I use blue

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLUE.HTM

I do add a little glycerine now to soothe but use the recipe above.

I use Crown Royale finishing spray. And I have changed to Jeffers Vanilla Shampoo.. I cut it way down so it's easy to rinse out.

I do need to say that I send my boys out to be professionally groomed. I know my limitations and my abilities and cutting dog fur isn't a talent of mine. Plus I loved when they come back home and both of them look so wonderful. I don't know if I could ever do that well. When I say I groom, I completely and thoroughly brush and comb them out, I trim around the pads and nails if I dare (Ki's are black so that can be scary. I hit them with the Dremmel very carefully.) I clean the ears, wash the face and brush the teeth. I do that about twice a week and then daily I give a quick brushing, brush teeth, and wash faces. That keeps the mats at bay and really keeps the amount of shedding under control.

You should start with gentle short brushing sessions with your puppy as soon as you get him. It helps to make the job so much easier when he will really need the brushing.

Back