Surgical Worries

I never allow Ketamine, there have been problems in the past. Also it should not be used in dogs with seizures. We always use isoflurane and propofal. (Not sure if spelled right) there is also a newer gas but don't remember the name. Another thing to help reduce anesthesia problems is IV fluids, they flush the anesthesia faster. I would research the side effects of all the anesthesia available then you can ask questions and make choices. One thing I always keep in mind is the safest anesthesia is the one the vet is familiar with. If the vet uses one Im Not comfortable with I go somewhere else. That is why I drive 5 hours to see the vet Sorry I t was such a bad experience, hopefully by now she is through with it and doing well. We got an infant jump suit or sleeper and put it on the dog so the sutures were covered after a few days, you can wrap a belly band around the area over the Jammie's for the xtra protection. Mine did not do well with cones either.
Thanks for your input. I agree the vet should use what he or she is more comfortable with. Gases can be the safest anesthetics, although they require more experience.

That is an excellent point about the safest anesthetic being the one the vet is most used to. We, too, ended up using a "onesy" in a 2T for her to keep her from her stitches and it seemed to work the best. She had a fit every time we put the cone on. We just kept her on a leash as the behavioral meds weren't very effective: they extended her nap time by about an hour or so and then she seemed to be as active as ever. I took her to the park for a run for the first time yesterday and practiced our off leash recalls here and there and to let her blow off some steam.

Back