Ticks and fleas in a 5 week pup

Hari

Hello, I had to bring home a 5 week old puppy. And he has ticks on him. He's constantly scratching and biting himself. I'd like to give him a bath but I'm scared because he's so young. And I don't want there to be an infestation as well.

Has the puppy been checked out by your vet yet? I think I'd take it there for advice and to get signed up for a puppy plan. Five weeks old is very young for a puppy to be away from its mother plus to have ticks. I'd want my vet's advice pronto.

I'm guessing returning him isnt an option?? Its really too early to be away from mom.

I'd also get him to the vet asap. he's probably going to need to be treated for tapeworms etc.

In the meantime, peppermint castille soap is very gentle lather him up and let it sit for 5 full minutes. then rinse well. be sure to keep him warm and comb completely with a flea comb. If you dont have a flea comb handy, you can use a lice comb which should be available at any 24h drugstore.

food grade diamatious earth helps kill fleas and is safe. Sprinkle around the house, in his bed and sleeping spots and anywhere in the car he's been.

You can also use Dawn dish soap to bathe him. If you can remove the ticks, place them in a baggie in the freezer. Then if you need to check for a tick borne disease, the ticks can be tested.

I'm not sure about ticks but bathing with plain dog shampoo (any soap really) will kill fleas. It drowns them. I bet it'll kill the ticks too.

I am thinking that you rescued him from a bad situation. Get him to the vets to be sure that there is nothing else wrong with him. Call in advance to let them
know his situation and to notify them of his very young age. They may want to wash down an examination room for you because parvo is always a worry.
Good luck, I hope the rest of the litter was rescued also. For babies that young to already have fleas and ticks.. awful.

Back