memorial Toby

Pam J.

Owned by cockers
Owned by
1 cocker
Toby was 12 1/2 born in October. I gave him to my parents for Christmas. They paid so much attention to him we joked about him being the favorite of all of us kids. They cooked for him and never told him no. He was my mothers dog and I think when she died she was my dad's connection to her. Dad didn't tell me Toby had been sick, he is very independent, still golfing twice a week, and doesn't want me thinking he is getting old (dad is 84). Toby was in the hospital for 4 days and dad brought him home on Thursday. Dad said Toby wasn't doing very well but he seemed very vague. Dad called this morning to tell me had put him to sleep this morning. Toby must have had a really bad night. I've only heard my dad cry once before and it just broke my heart. He said he can't talk about it and he doesn't want me over there. I understand. I'm a loner when I'm in pain, but he's my dad and I need him to be okay.

Attachments

• Mom, Dad & Toby.jpg
    Mom, Dad & Toby.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 56
I'm so sorry Pam. You had to be attached to Toby too. I hope your dad is okay. My uncle, who is always straight faced, recently lost 2 of his dogs. I have NEVER heard him cry (in my lifetime) until he talked about their passing. I know how attached he was to them.

You and your family will be in my prayers.

Pam:

I'm so sorry to hear of Toby's passing. I know the kind of pain your dad is going through.

When I got my Brandy at 8 weeks old in 1978 I didn't know she had an umbilical hernia. I was told she needed surgery and since I worked, I was afraid of what would happen if I were not home after she came home. My mom said she would take care of Brandy until the stiches came out and the next day the vet fixed the hernia.

Brandy was with my mom for 10 days and when we took her to get the stiches out my mom cried because Brandy had to go home. I saw how she became attached to her and asked her if she wanted to keep her. She was so happy. My dad said while Brandy was with my mom she was a different person. She had bouts of depression and having Brandy around to keep her busy made a difference.

Brandy became a member of my parents household and they loved her. My mom became very sick with liver disease and passed away in 1981. She then became my dad's constant companion until she developed cancer at the age of 12. The hardest thing for me to do was to take Dad and Brandy to the vet to have her put to sleep. But I do think that Brandy kept my mom going a lot longer than she would have because she had that unconditional love from Brandy. I also think Brandy kept my dad going after my mom passed because he had to take care of someone else. He had the responsibility of taking care of my mom's dog and he took it seriously. It was cute to see them together and I have many happy pictures of Dad and Brandy.

Again, I am sorry for Toby's passing and hope your dad gets through this difficult time knowing how much Toby loved him.

Oh Pam
I was so worried. I'm so sorry for Toby's loss.. I know he was so important to your Dad, and to you. Please know that Michael and I will be thinking of you.

((((((Pam)))))

I am so very sorry about Toby's passing. We will say a prayer for your dad and light a candle for Toby.

Thanks everyone, Toby is quite a loss for my family. (Did you notice Toby at my parents feet in the picture? He was so tiny) I loved that little boy and after losing Mom so suddenly it was a relief that Dad had Toby to keep him company. I'm still not sure what happened, Dad can't talk about him and I'm not going to ask him again. Its too upsetting for him. Linda, I love the poem, thank you so much.

Pam... I'm so sorry to hear about Toby AND your dad. Its amazing how these little gifts from God get so entrenched in our hearts. Bless his little soul.

Back