Trimming The Cocker Head

Kelly,
How should the back of the ear be groomed for a pet? Is the fur clipped at the back or allowed to grow?

Kelly or Robin can give you pointers I'm sure. :thumbsup:

Good instructions Kelly. I was going to try to learn to groom as money will now be tighter with retirement. I have since changed my mind. I clipped Chases's face and started on his neck, I hurt him,:( He scratched at it and now I have a nasty sore on his neck I have been trying to clear up for 2 weeks :( I'll leave the grooming to someone else I think, even if I have to have him clipped shorter so it lasts longer. My poor boy :(

Don't give up Diane. You didn't mean to. Sometimes it just happens. Did you keep the clipper blades parallel to the neck? You might cut uneven and possibly nick if point the blades perpendicular to the skin--that is with the blade teeth pointed to the skin.

I am with Manuel, Diane. Don't give up years ago when a friend of mine was teaching me to groom our first cocker, Phreddie, I nicked an ear with the scissors....she was fine I was a wreak. She forgave me and I groomed her for years afterward. I just never used scissors on her again :)

No, Don't Give up Dianne, even the most experienced groomers do that. Were your clipper blades sharp? Was your blade cool to the touch? Most of the time when that happens it's due to dull blades or a hot blade. Be sure and have blade coolant and check your blade temp often.
If it makes you feel better, I did it to Rainee a couple weeks ago. She was depressed for a few days from hurting and I gave her some antibiotics, creme and deramaxx ABD she's fine now. Scabs almost all gone.
The underside of the neck is so very sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only clippers I have are some small ones, not regular grooming clippers. I use them to trim around the nose and under the eyes, Chicka gets so smelly if I don't. The area I got Chase on is just below the ear on his neck :( He keeps digging at it so healing has been slow. I tryed the soft cone on him but he just sits and shakes so I took it off and just tryed to treat it several times a day. Man I wish I were by some of you guys so I can learn. I did look up instructions on the net and thought I was doing okay until I found his owee :( I also looked up grooming classes but they are geared to people who want to do it as a living and cost way too much,, I could pay for a lot of haircuts for that kind of money !

Ask your groomer if you can watch while she trims. Tell her you'd like to learn. I'm sure if you set up a time with her she'll allow it.

How far back do you trim their eyelashes? Missy's are practically down to her cheek but I don't want to trim too far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How far back do you trim their eyelashes? Missy's are practically down to her cheek but I don't want to trim too far.

When Robin was here she wanted so bad to trim back Pye's lashes. I wouldn't let her. I did use my short shears and tipped them, I think they would grow down to his knees.

When Robin was here she wanted so bad to trim back Pye's lashes. I wouldn't let her. I did use my short shears and tipped them, I think they would grow down to his knees.

Just didn't know if there is a too far. Like hers are clearly hanging over her eyes in her range of vision. I use manicure shears on Apollo's weird eye hair so I imagine I could use them on her eyelashes.

I'm going to enlist a parent to hold her head still, otherwise she will end up looking like a pirate...

In my grooming videos they use the clippers to trim them down. While grooming the face.

In my grooming videos they use the clippers to trim them down. While grooming the face.

That sounds dangerous and terrifies me. I'll just send her to the groomer. She doesn't need a trim but I'll have them do one just so they did her lashes.

I use the clippers to trim eyelashes and I NEVER let them grow long. All they do is attract dust and debris into the eye region. When I was a groomer I always trimmed them.

I always trim eyelashes...I use a pair of blunt tipped scissors and hold dog under the chin. I agree with Kelly and think longer lashes are more prone to stick into eyes,cause tearing and irritations.

I also rinse eyes with saline after trimming in case any lashes get into eyes.

I always trim eyelashes...I use a pair of blunt tipped scissors and hold dog under the chin. I agree with Kelly and think longer lashes are more prone to stick into eyes,cause tearing and irritations.

I also rinse eyes with saline after trimming in case any lashes get into eyes.

Usually I get them done at the groomer but I let their hair go a little long for winter. I did use some blunt shears last night and trimmed them. She was pretty good about it, so I was pleased.

I don't try to trim Cordelia all at once, I do it over two or three days. She's gotten better in the two years I've had her, but legs and feet are very stressful. I always do head first, because it makes the whole dog look more respectable. :wink: I'm not great at grooming, but You Tube helps a ton. I like this video, because the dog is a little bit squirmy http://m.on.aol.com/video/189528851

Thanks Deborah...I watched all of these Videos on Cockers,sure do wish I was as confident as this guy,I go very slow and easy. I can't believe how quick he is with scissors...I learn some new things watching him :)

Thanks Deborah for posting that video. I'd seen it way back when I was learning to groom my dogs but havent seen it in a long long time. Its nice to see it again.

You're welcome, I think I got that video from Kelli KLAD. I'm nowhere near that confident, either.

I read this entire thread and notice you all asking about Kelly's book....I love her detailed article on grooming. Does Kelly have a book on grooming and Cocker care? If so how can I order one?

I don't have a book yet - this is a project I've been working on for a long time, but haven't completed it. My dream (one of many) is to self publish a book on Cocker care and donate a portion if the profit to rescue. Some day it will happen!

Ty Kelly...what a wonderful idea and so sweet. Please put me on your list when you do publish it...I would love to have one :)

Back