using only the #10 blade on a cocker? I have a few questions :)

kcpupper

We're getting an English cocker spaniel puppy in a few months time, and while preparing for everything, I've decided that I'll try grooming her myself, as it can cost quite a lot if we get her to the groomers every few months and investing in a good pair of clippers will just save me money in the long run. I also think that it would be quite fun. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it difficult to do a decent cocker cut (shaved back/ blended skirt, feathery chest and legs and top1/3 of ears shaved similar to how people do their American cockers ears?) Would you agree to saying that anyone can do their pet cocker? We'll only be keeping her as a pet.

2. I've watched Jim Zimmerlins cocker spaniel grooming video part 2 out of 7, he was grooming a rescue cocker. He used a #10 blade for the entire clip (face, body, underbelly, ears, hind quarters etc). Im wondering if his cocker cut looks fairly good while only using a #10 blade because he's a professional, or if any one, such as a beginner like me can achieve this?

I've attached photos for the looks I'll be going for as well as the finished product of Jim Zimmerlins cocker that he groomed using only a #10 blade and a pair of grooming scissors.

Zimmerlins finished look:
Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.09.30 pm.png

An idea of how I'd like the ears to be done:
30264989_359271987814190_6026871506166874112_n.png30530388_359272427814146_9184509897155280896_n.png

Idea of the body and skirt:
30442899_359272661147456_3488757365665169408_n.png
30414548_359272751147447_5410387456870580224_n.png

There are many wonderful how to vids on uTube, and many that you can buy. I think that a 7F blade is close enough on the back, 10 is usually used for the face, neck and ears. More important is the brushing and combing that will be required to keep your pup in the beautiful show coat you pictured
This was my Patrick, who is gone now, I clipped his back with a 7F blade, muzzle ears and neck with a 10.

6166-77dcb8a446e6593cc1c623ea196766d2.jpg

PaksnewDoo5.jpg
My Pye above I keep in a modified puppy cut, back and remove the skirt with a 7F and face neck and ears with a 10. Pye requires brushing and combing at least every other day. He has a very thick coat

There are many wonderful how to vids on uTube, and many that you can buy. I think that a 7F blade is close enough on the back, 10 is usually used for the face, neck and ears. More important is the brushing and combing that will be required to keep your pup in the beautiful show coat you pictured
This was my Patrick, who is gone now, I clipped his back with a 7F blade, muzzle ears and neck with a 10.

6166-77dcb8a446e6593cc1c623ea196766d2.jpg

View attachment 12679
My Pye above I keep in a modified puppy cut, back and remove the skirt with a 7F and face neck and ears with a 10. Pye requires brushing and combing at least every other day. He has a very thick coat

So at the bare minimum, would you say you'd only need a 10 and 7f blade? Also what clippers do you use?

Of course you can trim him yourself. Thanks for the video reference. It was interesting with some good tips. I love that clipper! It cut through his hair like butter. Those curved shears were nice too. Realize that video did a "puppy cut" while the pictures you posted were show cuts.
So at the bare minimum, would you say you'd only need a 10 and 7f blade? Also what clippers do you use?
It's easier to use a 7F on the body. It leaves the hair longer than the #10 blade. The clippers are up to you. Some people prefer Andis while others prefer Oster. Some like cordless and others don't.

If you're going to keep the legs/skirt long, then yes, you can use a 10 or 7F. I too prefer the 7f on the back and a 10 or a 10 & 15 on the face/ears. If you want to use a clip-on comb to trim length off the legs/skirt, then you need a 10 or 30 rather than the 7F to go under the comb. Some of it depends on your dogs' coat texture. I prefer to do the inside of ears & pads with a 30 on most of my dogs. I've had 2 where their hair was thin/sparse enough that I didnt really need a 30 on the ears.

You'll also need a good dryer. I have a metro and its been fine for more than 15yrs but the double K dryers are quieter IMO. The dryer is part of what helps make the dog look professionally done. It blows out the coat more than a people dryer does.

Thinning shears and good scissors are also important.

Can anyone groom their dog? I think so. as long as you're willing to work hard, learn and realize that your dog is going to look NOTHING like the pics shown. Just like when you go to the hairdresser, it always looks nicer than when you wash it at home.

Just remember, there's also a reason why 90% of owners pay for professional grooming. Its alot of work to groom a cocker. Plan on 30 min to completely brush out the dog. 30-60min for the bath, an hour to dry and another hour for the haircut. Then you need to clean your bathroom. You get faster as you go but it still takes several hours for a longer coat.

I still use the old fashioned Oster A5 clippers, I have 2, and I also have a 30 blade that you use with clipper combs, but, my dogs don't like clipper combs so I use my shears and thinning shears. Today I took my Pye down to an actual puppy cut, his legs are now shorter for summer. My senior boy Pogs I do keep clipped short for his comfort, today I took his ear feathers off.

Yup, I also have a metro, I will confess, I usually allow my dogs to air dry when weather permits, but yes, they look more even when completely dried.
I will also confess, I clip my dogs before bathing usually. Its very hard on the clipper blades, but I perfer them to be clipped before I spend the 45 minutes to hour drying them.

I will also confess, I clip my dogs before bathing usually. Its very hard on the clipper blades, but I perfer them to be clipped before I spend the 45 minutes to hour drying them.

I too clip dirty dogs. I have 2 sets of blades though. 1 set I keep as a 'dirty' set and the other is my "good" set. Theoretically, I preclip them dirty, wash, dry and then clean up the cut with the good blades or hand scissor. My 1st cocker used to take me 5-6h to do the whole groom!! (Long thick cottony coat) That rarely happens now that I have 2 kids. Usually, I'm happy enough with the preclip and call it good enough.

Yes, its hard on the blades but honestly, these days, I'm clipping 2 dogs a few times a year. I still get several years worth of use out of the blades.

Again, for me, its accepting that my dogs are 'good enough' and not worrying about whether they could look better etc. Though I confess I still cant bring myself to do a puppy cut. I like them with a bit of hair and fancier style. :D Right now, though they are a disgusting mess. I think I'd be embarrassed to bring them to a proper groomer!

I too clip dirty dogs. I have 2 sets of blades though. 1 set I keep as a 'dirty' set and the other is my "good" set. Theoretically, I preclip them dirty, wash, dry and then clean up the cut with the good blades or hand scissor. My 1st cocker used to take me 5-6h to do the whole groom!! (Long thick cottony coat) That rarely happens now that I have 2 kids. Usually, I'm happy enough with the preclip and call it good enough.

Yes, its hard on the blades but honestly, these days, I'm clipping 2 dogs a few times a year. I still get several years worth of use out of the blades.

Again, for me, its accepting that my dogs are 'good enough' and not worrying about whether they could look better etc. Though I confess I still cant bring myself to do a puppy cut. I like them with a bit of hair and fancier style. :D Right now, though they are a disgusting mess. I think I'd be embarrassed to bring them to a proper groomer!

Yes and I do send my blades out to be sharpened, they usually work great that way. I also love the longer look, but, I found a couple matts on Pye that were the devil to get out. And seems that once a matt takes hold, it will return no matter what. And, I had brushed and combed him the day before! We were out and about that day (went and enjoyed the King Tut exhibit), Pye waited outside for us on the porch. Living in the forest like I do, my dogs usually need baths usually every other week. I was sure sorry to see his coat go, but, it grows back fast. Pogo is going on 14 now, I cut him down this winter because he's sleeping more, laying on it and it just didn't look the same as he aged, he's more comfortable now, so that's what counts.

I'm thinking that at my age (I will be 70 this year), these boys may very well be my last. We will see, Pye will be my last that I raised from a puppy.

Same here, I clip Fiona now in short coat about every 3 weeks with a 10 blade in the direction of the fur and never bathe her beforehand either. Really she only gets a bath about 4 times a year, although if she gets muddy from one of our adventures i will wash the leg feathers and undercarriage. I think u have to figure out what work best with regards to time, preferences and your dog's comfort. Fi has a thin coat on her undersibe so her armpits kept getting lots of mats that drive me nuts When i find myself pouting about coat care, i remind myself that haviing a coated dog has its upside....she sheds hardly at all. :)

Just remember, there's also a reason why 90% of owners pay for professional grooming. Its alot of work to groom a cocker. Plan on 30 min to completely brush out the dog. 30-60min for the bath, an hour to dry and another hour for the haircut. Then you need to clean your bathroom. You get faster as you go but it still takes several hours for a longer coat.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely....the longer the coat.....the more time invested.....the less experience u have....the longer it takes. Get your puppy used to sound of clippers right away and practice putting dog on grooming table for a couple minutes at a time and slowly increase the time.that's really important.

I've been taking Callie every 8 weeks. Last time I took her, I had them clip her shorter. I love it and it's so much easier to keep her brushed.

Back