Vetmedin shortage

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Hoshi started taking Vetmedin (pimobendan) early last month for heart failure. His cardiologist warned us there was a shortage and we might have trouble getting a refill. Now it time for a refill and no one has it. I tried Costco. That’s were I got Gabby’s Vetmedin. They only have 10 mg tablets and Hoshi needs the 1.25 mg tablets. I also tried Foster & Smith, Chewy’s, Sam’s Club, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Kroger…none of them have it.

Banfield Hospital has it but Hoshi needs an appointment first. Hoshi’s cardiologist said if there was a shortage, she could have a pharmacy compound (make) his Vetmedin. That might be our best option. As it is, she only had 2.5 mg tabs. I have to cut that in quarters for Hoshi’s dosage.

I’ve searched what’s causing the shortage. Boehringer Ingelheim claims it’s due to heavy demand. They claim the shortage will continue until June. I also read the shortage is deliberate to drive up prices. I’ve read compounded versions of Vetmedin are significantly cheaper but veterinarians are warning not to buy compounded versions. That sounds fishy.

If Hoshi's vet said she would have it made for him, I think that's the best option Manuel, at least for now. That's what I would do.

Good news. Hoshi's order for Vetmedin is confirmed through Wedgwood pharmacy. They make it themselves. The dose is slightly different than originally prescribed but it's one pill instead of 1 1/4. I've been cutting Hoshi's pills in quarters which is difficult. If you know of anyone needing Vetmedin ask their vet to have it compounded through pharmacies like Wedgwood:
I think I would follow the vet’s recommendation. Is there a different drug that he could take?
I imagine a combination of drugs could be used with similar effects. It would be better than nothing at all.

I was lucky and got Hoshi's Vetmedin at Banfield Hospital so I'll have enough until the other prescription is filled. Wedgewood's generic is almost $65 cheaper.

We have many of the pets meds compounded, as well as mine. We have a compounding pharmacy in town, it is a relatively small town so you might want to see if there is one where you are. The vet calls it in and they make it up.

Back