Wahl 9590-210 Pro-series?

I can now say, from experience, that the Wahl 9590-210 Pro-Series is a decent trimmer without a comb attached. With a comb attached - it's all but useless. Fortunately, in this instance, the clipper I bought arrived with an undisclosed defect, so I had the option to send it back. A quick test was all it took to know that it would be going back and I would not be buying a replacement. Yuck.

Be sure you are using a #30 or #40 blade under the clipper combs. I made the mistake of trying to use the combs with a #10. Didn't work at all.

Hmm... I have no idea what size blade it came with? I tested it without combs under their ears and with a comb (the shortest one in the box) on the little parts I could find that were long enough. Without a comb, clipping "with the grain", this is how Rhett's under-ear came out:

It's not the best photo - I would guess that the length is 1/8"?

I just touched up around Jude's ear canal, since he's a bit uneasy about his ears, and I tidied up between the pads of one foot (stood perfectly). Vet records indicate that one of them was treated for an ear infection a few years ago - my guess is that it was Jude.

I would have figured that a clipper that comes with combs would be equipped with the correct blade to use with the combs? Either way, I think it would be better to just get them a set of gently-used high quality clippers. I'm between the Wahl Bravura and the Andis Super AGR+. The biggest difference (to me, at least) being 5-in-1 adjustable blade + combs vs. removable blades that don't require combs (although I would apparently have to buy a #30 or #40 blade, that I otherwise wouldn't need, in order to use a comb...)

Oh bother ;)

Be sure you are using a #30 or #40 blade under the clipper combs. I made the mistake of trying to use the combs with a #10. Didn't work at all.
I looked it up and, if a #30 gives a 1/32" cut, then the clippers definitely came with a #10.

With a #30 or #40 blade, would you say you were/are happy with the clippers as a stand-alone clipper? Other than some feathering on their legs and letting their ears grow out a little, the boys are going to be kept pretty neat and tidy (nearly wash&wear). I have no interest having different clipper sets for different parts of them. There will be no thinning shears, curved shears, stripping gadgets, facial shampoos or colognes :not_amused:.

The clippers themselves (which I have not sent back yet) were nearly free at ~$25 shipped and I found a #30 blade for ~$22 shipped (or $12 shipped for a used blade). Under $50 total is an amazing deal IF they work well with the combs. If you no longer use yours: 1)why? 2)what are you using? and 3)is it cordless?

Thanks!

I'm old fashioned, I have used Oster Goldens for over 20 years. So I stick with Osters. I have 4 clippers and I keep a 10 on one for the face neck and ears
I use a 7F on the backs and a 4F for their skirts when I have skirts on them. Legs I use the #30 with clipper combs. Now they are shorter. I just posted some shots of them yesterday. I do use thinners and curves but not to the extent of our members who like their dogs in show cuts. I do keep strippers and I do use them part of the year but not all the time. Both of my boys have very thick coats, my buff has a nice coat that doesn't matt that much. My brown boy has some trouble with matting so I have to keep on top of things.

As I said I posted more on my picture thread.. but here is one.
GreatPyePogs1_zpskvlw6nb7.jpg

Back