Warm Temperatures

Crumpet

As the days grow warmer we move our walks to an earlier time of day. Our English Cocker is very heat sensitive. In fact he will lie down in the middle of a walk in the shade and he is a young dog. We moved from a hot climate to a cooler one with him in mind too. Do you all find this to be true of your English Cockers? The American Cocker does not seem to be as affected.

All dogs are affected by heat. If your dog is seeking shelter from the sun, let him rest at home.

Of course. I am careful with the dogs and the heat. I was interested to see if other English Cockers has similar reactions. I thought perhaps it was because of their breed origins.

I don't know if Callie is affected by the heat or not. I am, so I try to stay inside if it's hot out!

It gets very hot here so, of course, my American Cockers are effected by the heat. It gets over 100 degrees F here in the summer very regularly. We walk early in the day when it’s nice out during the summer. During the hottest part of the day they go out to go potty but want back in the air con when they are finished. The heat seems to effect Ki more but he is black and I do think he does absorb more heat. My friends Engie is the same. We walk together many mornings. My son and his wife have a lab and and a standard poodle even they feel the heat and they walk more early or later in the evening.

I think the dogs who have the most issues are the dogs who are brachycephphalic such as bull dogs, pugs, etc. They can really have trouble breathing in the heat.

I have an American Cocker Spaniel and she is very sensitive to the heat too. Some things I found that really help her is putting a damp towel around her during the day. I freeze kongs for her or even water bottles and she likes licking those to keep cool too.

Back