Working or Show cocker....What to do??

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and just looking for some advice on whether or not to go for a working or show cocker.
My wife and I have twins just turned 3 and are considering a cocker. We both love them but are unsure as to which breed to get.
We love going for family walks to beaches, woodland areas etc so the dog will get guaranteed exercise and mental stimulation.
My concern is that it still wont be enough for a working cocker. Also, the dog will be left alone for 5 hours or so 2 days a week due to my shifts and my wifes part time hours.
Also, will a working cocker sit of an evening with us provided it has had the relevant exercise/stimulation through the day?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

It shouldn't matter which you choose (English, American, working). All will require daily exercise and social interaction. It's entirely your preference. I strongly suggest attending obedience training whatever your choice.

I agree with Manuel, one other thing to consider with your young children and busy work schedules is the amount of coat you want to deal with. American Show Cockers have an abundance of coat, it's beautiful, but, requires a lot of maintenance unless you keep the dog shaved down. Even suburban or puppy cuts require brushing inbetween grooming visits.

Visit some shows and talk to local breeders in your area and join some cocker breeder groups on FB.

The more info you have, the better your decision will be for you and your family

I think you should find a dog that you like and seems to fit with your family. All will have coat, some will have more than others. Show cockers and field coated cockers will all need about the same amount of exercise. After all, both were bred to be sporting dogs. You can get either cut short but they both will need to be groomed.

I have one show cocker and one, well I'm not sure exactly what Farley is, pet cocker. The show cocker in close to full coat, is actually easier for me to deal with. His coat rarely mats. However he does tend to pick up twigs and leaves when we walk. My pet cocker has a cotton coat and it mats easily.

When you go to choose a dog make sure that both parents have their health clearances and talk to the breeder. A good breeder will be able to guess which dogs will have a full coat and which ones don't. They will also be able to pick out which puppies have more energy and which are more laid back.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Karen & Manuel. not all cockers require the same amount of exercise or mental stimulation. Any mentally sound dog will be fine alone for 5-8 hours provided he's had adequate exercise and mental stimulation but what that means for each dog is different. Princess is happy with a 20min neighborhood walk a few times a week. Teddy is ok with that but much happier if we bike for 1-2 miles a couple of times a week or go on a long walk in the woods. Jake was my original working cocker and he went to classes 4-6 days a week in various disciplines and had daily training sessions in addition to long walks. He was a certified therapy dog. He could miss a day or 2 but was prone to stress licking if he got bored. I've had other dogs between both ends of the spectrum.

Your best bet is to talk to breeders about what they do with their dogs and how they are in the house. A good breeder will be able to match a dog to your family's needs or say - 'I dont think I have anything for you in this litter'. Dont forget to think about potential future lifestyle changes. What happens when the twins are in school and have after school activities? Weekend sports games? Will you still have time for hikes etc then or will you have even more time to do stuff?

One thing it took me a while to realize is coat texture is almost more important than quantity. Jake had a crazy thick cottony coat. EVERYTHING got stuck in it and it was a nightmare to keep in decent condition. He'd get brushed everynight for nearly an hour and he still occasionally got mats. Dogs with more 'correct' coat - straighter with less undercoat are fine. I can get away with brushing Teddy 1x a week and he rarely gets mats. Again something a good breeder will be able to gauge.

I guess I was trying to say, evidentially not very well, that cockers as individuals may require differing amounts of exercise, but it depends on the individual dog. Sone show cockers require more than working dogs and vice versa.

I agree, my show cocker is really very active and always on the move. It is hard for me to imagine a working cocker could have more energy, yet two of her littermates are quite calm. It is probably best if you see both types of dogs in action and meet some of the relatives of your puppy on the premises before you make any decisions. It might give you an idea of what to expect but, just like having a child, there really aren't any guarantees.

Back