Charlie

Hello
I’m a new member to this club, as well as first time owner of a 10 weeks old American cocker Spaniel named Charlie. He’s a beautiful solid black and white chested puppy. He’s the cutest thing on earth!
My question is when are cocker spaniels considered fully grown or adults? I read somewhere that it’s six months, some say 9 or even 18 months??? Confused!

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Hi welcome Patty and Charlie! We would love pictures please. Some cockers stay puppy like all their lives. They are called the Merry little hunters.
My Pye will be 5 in July, I have just seen some signs of maturity in him this year. ;)

It's in individual thing. Some of my past dogs, have been more settled at a younger age. But, my excuse is that Pye was and is my first and last puppy that I have raised. One of my best friends is his breeder, she brought him to me at 7.5 weeks and stayed a week to help me settle in with him. He's been a joy.

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
I think they physically mature between a year and a year and a half but even after reaching full growth their shape does keep changing slightly for another couple of years. Think how a teenage boy may reach his full height in high school but his shoulders and waist continue to broaden for several years yet.

Mentally, I think that depends on the individual dog. I know that showing Ki as a one year old was very different than showing him as a three year old. When he was theee, something in his brain clicked and he suddenly knew just what to do. Cockers can have puppy like enthusiasm and energy for quite a few years.

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
I think they physically mature between a year and a year and a half but even after reaching full growth their shape does keep changing slightly for another couple of years. Think how a teenage boy may reach his full height in high school but his shoulders and waist continue to broaden for several years yet.

Mentally, I think that depends on the individual dog. I know that showing Ki as a one year old was very different than showing him as a three year old. When he was theee, something in his brain clicked and he suddenly knew just what to do. Cockers can have puppy like enthusiasm and energy for quite a few years.
Karen! You can sure tell our boys are related!