Hoshi's DNA tests are back

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Hoshi is a carrier of Von Willebrand Disease Type II. Embarkvet.com also generates a report for OFA certification but I don't know submission is mandatory or not. They also list Hoshi's relatives but you have to be signed in to see that. Check out his profile: Hoshi’s Embark Dog DNA Results

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Thanks for the link. I’ve heard about the disease but didn’t know about the 3 types.

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Very interesting Manuel. I see Hoshi is 100% Cocker Spaniel. LOL.

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I had to chase Hoshi around the house and he'd take off when I put the applicator in his mouth. I don't know how but there was dirt in his mouth. AND THE TEST STILL WORKED! I send 2 perfect samples of my DNA to 23andme and they both fail. :rolleyes:

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Glad to know Hoshi is a cocker spaniel! Now that you know about the bin willebrand disease you can keep an eye out and warn your vet to watch if Hoshi gets a cut or needs surgery.

cockermom

Owned by
2 cockers
Well I sure hope he never gets the actual disease. What else does this test show, besides what kind of dog he is.

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
On the link I posted it's mostly his coat and body type. I see lots more when I'm signed in. There must be a hundred genetic disorders Hoshi was tested for dealing with all his organs. His testing also contributes to genetic research of the breed.

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
VwD carriers dont get the disease. They can pass it on to offspring if mated to another carrier.

kind of neat looking at stuff like that.