She won't go!

dizzy

I've never come across another dog that does this, nor have I ever heard of it. But, more often than not, Callie will not go to the bathroom unless either my husband or myself take her out, or are outside w/her. We have a rope that reaches into the house so she can go out front. Now that's it's warm out, I'll leave the back door open. I'll either put her out front or open the back door so she can do her business. She can go out for a few minutes, then when she comes back in, whines for me to take her out. In spite of the fact that she's potty trained, she peed in the house 3x this week. The last time was today.

I had taken her out, she did nothing. I let her out the back door, she did nothing. I put her on the rope, she did nothing. Then she came in and peed on the carpet!

I don't know what to do. I don't always have time to take her out when she wants to go. Nor, so I always want to. I want her to just go outside and do her business, then come in. Any ideas on what I can do to get her to go on her own?

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Don’t think I can help you much. Mine won’t go potty outside unless someone is out with them. Now maybe it was an emergency they would but I’m not sure. I guess she likes company.

Wondering if Callie might have a bladder infection. Otherwise I would say she wants someone with her, especially if that’s what she’s used to having.

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Dizzy, my Pogo will go out by himself, in fact all of my dogs did with the exception of Pye. And I know exactly why, he was trained from a pup
that Mom goes out with him. He will go out alone sometimes, but, he prefers that I go with him, and, he's going to be 5.

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Plus, Polly, when Pogo came into your life you had a whole pack of cocker spaniels who went out by themselves so there was probably always a pup who would accompany the one who needed to potty outside. I couldn’t imagine going in and out with that many dogs! I’m sure you would have made 10,000 steps just going in and out with dogs!

I know Ki used to go in and out the doggie door at Robin’s house but I don’t have a doggie door and now he also expects me out there with him.

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
You are right Karen! Boy those were the days, and I groomed them all on the same day. I don't know how I did it.

dizzy

Haven't been able to get on, don't know if it's my computer or what. She seems to be doing a bit better. I've been taking her out the backdoor when I can, then, once she goes down the stairs, I very slowly and quietly go back in. I'm done work in 10 days and will be doing a ton of work in the house, starting w/the basement. If I can have her going out by herself by then, it will help tremendously.

Bella Rose

Owned by
2 cockers
Bella is 8 and is firmly convinced she needs company. I think partly it is because when she was being potty trained we lived in a condo so had to go out with her and supervise.
Only benefit, she learned to "Go Pee" and will as soon as you tell her. VERY handy when traveling. She even fakes if she doesn't have to go but you tell her anyway. :ROFLMAO: