Wind chill -33 F in at home

dizzy

I didn't take Callie to the farm this morning. She wasn't happy. It's not as cold here, but I figure 7* was colder than I wanted her out in for a long period of time.

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm!

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
Its a tropical 9 here but no walk for us either. On top of the cold, we had some significant snow squalls here last night and the town dumped a TON of salt/sand on the roads. I drove over a salt/sand speed bump in 1 spot. Too much to let the dogs walk in even if I do wax their paws.

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I've never heard of paw wax so I looked it up. I'm going to get some. I've used petroleum jelly type products which work great but not great on carpets.

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
I've bought Musher's Secret before and it is probably better for severe ice but for 'normal' winters and for my cockers, I prefer making this How to Make an All-Natural Protective Paw Wax for Dogs & Cats | Frugally Sustainable

The Musher's Secret is VERY heavy - like bag balm and it is very difficult to remove from floors and fur. I used it w/my doberman for skijoring sessions or when she was running miles on ice. It would get stuck in long hair etc. This stuff is a bit lighter (I do add a bit more olive oil) but it doesnt get in fur quite as much, is non toxic and cheap to make. I bought the shea butter in 2013 and still have a bit left!

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
Yes stay safe everyone. Manuel, have you considered snow boots for Hoshi?