Greeting police with your dog

Very good information Manuel. I know one officer told us that dogs should be on a leash in the car if they are not in
a kennel for their own safety in case you are in an accident.

Also, don't think an officer wouldn't shoot a cocker spaniel. It's happened before. I'm not sure if any of you remember the story of a cocker spaniel named Sprite. It was on all the cocker boards. A female police officer saw him as a threat and shot him.

Remembering Sprite

Thanks for posting that article. Poor little Sprite. It is sure something to think about. I like to have Maggie and Crissy shut in the bedroom when ever we have strangers visit or workers in the house. I am always afraid of them getting out and getting away or hurt/killed by a car. I wouldn't think that police would consider them a threat and shoot them.

Wow I never thought of that. I think sadly some officers would shoot without provocation, just to do it.:(

We're good people and cocker spaniels are great dogs. Sadly, police deal daily with criminals using dogs as weapons. That's what police are used to. When they come knocking at your door they expect the worst. Still, police should have some type of class on how to deal with dogs. The SPCA is giving police in Oakland California training on approaching dogs and I think that's great. :thumbsup:

Excellent information here:thumbsup: Don't forget that the same goes for other Emergency Responder's if they should have to come to your home. Our cocker spaniel's are very protective and loyal and might now allow the Responder's into the house. Hope that their service's are never needed though:wave:

Back