Hoshi had 3 teeth pulled today

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I've been putting off a dental because I'm scared of the anesthesia. He came home okay except for being slightly drowsy. I don't normally grind his chicken bones but I had to so he could eat. The vet tech said at least for today. I used a hand grinder.

Aww Sweet Hoshi. I'm sure you are both glad it's over Manuel.

Get well soon Hoshi. To manuel: Do cocker spaniels have a reputation of not doing well under anesthetic?

Get well soon Hoshi. To manuel: Do cocker spaniels have a reputation of not doing well under anesthetic?
I haven't heard that. I just worry and I don't trust my vet hospital 100%. A vet that used to work there was "let go." He's the same one who gave my Gabby a heartworm shot which almost killed him. He thought Gabby was "restless" and was going to send him home with Ativan. I took him to my emergency vet (who I do trust); they said he was very ill and may not make it through the night.

So sorry.,I really need to get Chase in. We have him checked and his teeth have always looked good but I noticed he is getting some, tartar.,thanks for the reminder. Hoshi should be feeling much better in a day or two

It would make me kind of paranoid, too....then again, I can be fairly paranoid right out of the gates...lol. Like the situation with Fiona's ears---they wouldn't have re-cultured her ears nor given me the yeast counts per ear if I hadn't insisted on it. She has an extra set of molars and it was only through careful questioning that I discovered that these teeth are more likely to get tartar because there are no "matching," bottom teeth. Some spaniels and some greyhounds have them---so it is not at all uncommon: She was 6 months old and there was already a tiny spot of tartar behind the fold in the tooth on either side that I hadn't seen before. It pays to be proactive on your dog's behalf and not just blindly accept what you are told. You were smart to take Gabby to someone else and you did this through knowing your dog-----what is normal and what is not.

He seems fine. You should see him smile now missing his 2 front teeth. He looks like a hockey player.

I'd love to see that pic! I'm glad he's feeling better. Its a good reminder to pay attention to their teeth. I have to admit that I was pretty good for a while and then started slacking off again.

Yes we need a pic of Hoshi's hockey smile :D
Or new girl has pretty bad tartar especially for only being 2.
I didn't want her put under again so soon, so I made a deal with our vet to wait a year during which I would work on them, then we would re-evaluate.

Back