TPLO for Reagan

I don't know what kind of effect the water has, but I would think it would have some. I'm still waiting to hear back from the vet on that.

You can take a water sample into a pool store and they should test it for you for free. At least they do for us, but we have a pool so they know us. Or the test strips in the fish department or pool supplies will work. The strips aren't as accurate as the liquid tests, but should give you a good idea.

I know "hard water" (well water, "egg water") can cause kidney stones because of its mineral content. I'm not sure about its affect on urine pH. I'm not sure how accurate strips for a pool are in this case. The chem strips we use in the hospital are fairly accurate. This link has them $30 for 100 strips: http://www.lifelinemedical.net/urine chemistry strips.html

EDIT: It tests for all sorts of stuff; blood, bacteria, glucose, acetone, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, those strips do less tests than the ones we use. I would call and make sure they test for pH. You should be able to purchase them at a pharmacy. Not sure if you need a prescription.

Thanks for the link. Going to check it out and probably order some. It will be nice to be able to keep an eye on her inbetween vet checks.

I'm so glad that Reagan is doing so well.

We use bottled water here too. My kids drink it better than the city water.

This is the first time in seven months she has slept on her back. Since then she has done it a few more times. :)

sleepyreagan-1.jpg

When I took her out this morning she was smelling everything then started focusing on something. There was a stray dog heading towards us--not aggressive just a oh there is another doggy look. I picked her up and we hurried back in the house. He was down in the ditch so when I looked out the door for possible problems I didn't see him. So, I'll be keeping an eye out for him. (He comes around from time to time, his owners just let him out in the morning)

Oh Amanda! What wonderful news. We have a well here also, mine drink bottled or brita water.

It's good to see them relaxed like that. I think when they are in pain or uncomfortable they can't sleep like that. Keep an eye on that dog. When Gabby was recovering from his TPLO one of the neighbors accidentally let their dog out and it attacked Gabby. It wasn't bad but you don't want that sort of thing after TPLO surgery.

Back