Categories
Cocker News Site News

Christmas Cards 2011

My Cocker Spaniel Christmas card exchange 2011

Categories
Cocker News

Cocker spaniels rescued in Lamar, MO

Neglected cocker spaniel
Neglected cocker spaniel, Fox News St. Louis

Sixteen cocker spaniels were rescued from a Lamar, Missouri kennel on November after the owner died.  The dogs were severely neglected–several were blind.  They were sent to rescue groups throughout the country last weekend.  Four dogs went to Colorado, five went to Ohio, and seven went to New York. When the four cockers arrived in Colorado Cari Meyers, founder of The Puppy Mill Project, said, “They had never been groomed or cared for and were just a big matted mess. It was so bad; one of the dogs couldn’t walk. When they finally were shaved down and bathed, one dog had over 11 pounds of dreadlocked fur shaved off.” (see photos)

Fox News St. Louis video: Rescued Kansas City dogs part of cross country operation

Categories
Diary

“Enhanced with chicken broth”

I bought some chicken thighs at Kroger the other day. They were boneless. I really didn’t notice that or the fact the label read “Enhanced with 35% chicken broth.” Well, they gave him loose stools. I’d like to know why it has this? I won’t buy them again.

Categories
Diary

Picture Day

It didn’t turn out as good as I planned. I made the mistake of not feeding Hoshi before his pictures. I brought treats to the studio so I could get him to sit and lie down. He was so hungry he wouldn’t cooperate with us. It would have helped if I had practiced his obedience. It’s been ages since I told him “down” so he had trouble posing for the camera.

He also had fits in the lobby and I couldn’t figure out why. He kept crying and started barking at the counter. He was really getting out of control. Then I realized one of the staff had their lunch (hot dogs) sitting on the counter. He has to learn not every meal is his. We did manage to get a couple good pictures.

Categories
Cocker News

Veterinarian reprimanded in cocker spaniel case

Peter MacMahon, a British veterinarian in Hampshire, was reprimanded and warned by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) for “disgraceful” conduct. The case involved a cocker spaniel named Wilfred who had swallowed broken glass.  The RCVS found MacMahon had failed to remove the broken glass; had failed to prevent abdominal contamination; and failed to make Wilfred’s primary veterinarian aware of the contamination.  MacMahon’s competence was called into question.  MacMahon had recently returned to practice after a ten-year absence.  MacMahon agreed to take remedial training as suggested by the RCVS.

On July 15, 2009, Mrs. Sarah Stacey brought her one-year-old cocker spaniel named Wilfred to the Harbour Veterinary Hospital in Portsmouth, England. Wilfred had eaten broken glass and meat while rummaging through kitchen garbage.  Veterinarian Peter MacMahon was covering the hospital’s busy after hours emergency service.  Dr. MacMahon and his nurse were apparently unfamiliar with the facility because they had difficulty finding necessary supplies and equipment during Wilfred’s surgery.

During surgery, Dr. MacMahon did not wear sterile gloves and allowed nearly a liter of stomach contents to escape into Wilfred’s abdominal cavity.  The next morning following surgery Wilfred was brought back to the hospital very ill.  Veterinarian Kathryn Ling decided to operate on Wilfred again.  Upon opening Wilfred’s abdomen, Dr. Ling was “struck with a terrible smell of putrefaction.”  She found three tablespoons of minced meat in his abdomen.  She also found a large piece of glass still in Wilfred’s stomach.  Dr. Ling’s surgery was successful and Wilfred made a full recovery.