TPLO for Reagan

Didn't get a chance to check in last night, but am glad that all went well with Reagan's procedure and she may get to come home today.:thumbsup:

Now the hard part begins.....recovery.:(

Amanda, I keep a notebook handy and any time I think of a question for the vet, I write it down. It makes it a lot easier than trying to remember to ask all the questions I have.:)

Let us know when the baby girl is home, I'm very anxious for you -- I know how bad you want this overwith and we will all be checking in on her Cam to see her.

We just got home. (I got her cam started for now). She seems to be doing pretty good and already using the leg a lot. I think she has three incisions, but they are covered right now. She is on a different combination of pain meds this time and seems very comfortable. I didn't sit and read the discharge instructions until I got home, and something in there concerned me a little so I'll talk to the surgeon and let you know. I know the recovery is long but hopefully we are on the home stretch.

I took a few pictures when we got home that I will get up later.

I'm so glad she's home. I hope the worst is all behind Reagan now and look forward to reading about her recovery. I can't wait to read a post saying, "Reagan chased a ball across the yard today."

I've been watching her off and on. GOD I feel so bad she's in another cone. What did the report say that has you worried? Half the time I can't read their handwriting.

I feel the need to send her something, a presents, something. What can she have?

Karen, I hope you are patient. They say no off leash like that for 6 months. She also isn't allowed to swim for at least 10 weeks. Her therapy will consist of basically PROM (passive range of motion) assuming she will let me and "sit-stands" (sit/stand, sit stand repeat 15-20 times). Walks only to potty until her 4 week recheck to see how the bone is healing.

The surgeon wanted to give me a CD of her xrays, but the radiology department said he would have to charge me. At her recheck in 2 weeks I will get one. I don't think her surgeon was very happy they were going to charge me for them, so we'll see what happens. He did email me pictures from the arthroscopy.

Tonight I will start her journal. Going to use the ear thermometer the vet gave me for Christmas to take her temp everyday, so if she does start to get an infection we'll catch it early. I am really impressed with how much she used the leg when I took her out to potty. Should have the culture results from the nylon line tomorrow. Her blood work was all normal, the only thing that was outside of the normal range was "carbon dioxide" it was 18.8 and normal is considered 20-28.

eh, maybe the surgeon can burn the CD's himself!!!! Shame on them for wanting to charge you for that. You paid for it once already.

So, help me here, her carbon dioxide is low? Is that a bad thing?

The report is a nice typed two pages with additional handouts on "TPLO post-op", "arthroscopy", "incision care", "osteoarthritis", and "physical therapy". They are very informative. What has me worried is "A very mild tibial thrust was elicited on the right." I am trying not to worry while I wait to hear if this is normal while she is healing and may not be an indication of something is wrong.

That is sweet Linda. She can have pretty much any toy; with treats we avoid wheat, corn and soy and treats would have to be made in the USA or Canada. I will switch her to her comfy cone next time I take her out. She really doesn't mind the cone though, but I do feel sorry for her too. I put Gretchen's caterpillar toy in there for her to use as a pillow. It is 53 inches and wraps around her crate nicely so she has somewhere to rest her head.

1dayposttplo.jpg

1dayposttplostanding.jpg

Maybe Manuel, can help us out with the carbon dioxide being low. The surgeon did not say anything about it, it is just listed on her bloodwork as low. They told me her blood work looked good. I'll do a google search and see what I come up with because I have no idea.

Last edited:
oh boy -- those pictures -- one looks like she only has a human bandade on.

Ok, we use Innova treats, no bad stuff -- and we'll get her a bag, and I go to the salvation army to get baby crib bumpers and line the crates/pens with them for the dogs. As long as they don't pee on em it's fine (boys might lift).. and it makes it really comfy for them.

I was at a store the other day and they had a really cute crib bumper set. I almost bought them then was like no she really doesn't need them. I might have to go back and see if they still have them; they only had one set in the pink. Cooper is the only boy, and he never lifts his leg in the house.

I knew you wouldn't use any bad stuff, so anything you would feed is fine.

if you have a thrift store you can find the bumpers really really cheap. AND, sometimes a matching crib size quilt. Hmmmm.. wonder if I have any left. I use them in the 3 x 3 puppy xpens when we get in a litter. Easy, just have to tie them on. Have had to overlap cause it was too large but it was fine.

Yeah, I am the queen of "healthy food" for da-babies. I'd ship ya a tub of puppy soup but doubt it would make it safely.

Next time I run to the store I'll get the stuff to make her a batch of puppy soup for her (she'll share with everybody, maybe I should make a double batch).

The thrift stores here aren't worth going to. We do have 2 stores that get overstocked products or products from stores going out of business that often times have nice stuff. So I'll check them out.

I am a very patient person, Amanda. I know I'll be reading about Reagan chasing a ball before too long. She almost lookd like she has a little booboo on her knee and the vet put a Bandaid on it.

Finally got a chance to check in again. Boy, I'm glad she is home as I am sure you are too.
She looks good. I'm surprised they don't have it wrapped more than just a bandaid. Probably will heal faster though.

Looking foward to hearing what manuel has to say about the Carbon Dioxide.

I agree - shame on them for wanting to charge you for the CD's. I like that they gave you all that info and a report to boot. I'm impressed.

Please give her a hug for me an Ellie.

Will be thinking of you.

Very glad that Reagan is home and resting...was out most of the morning and early afternoon. I like Karen can't wait for the video of Reagan, off leash and playing ball. Heck I will even settle for seeing her in the pool during PT.

As for the Rads on CD...good lord it would cost him nothing in time or the CD (heck for that matter I can mail him one to use) especially since he has to be aware that this is not a new thing for you and Reagan (mutter, mutter, mutter) geez.

Lots of support for you and prayers for a swift, uneventful recovey for Reagan

They had her in a Robert Jones bandage for the first 24 hours after surgery. Some vets send them home in them, some don't. One of her incisions oozed a tiny bit when they took off the other bandage, so they put that over it.

I didn't really find anything about the carbon dioxide when I searched. I did see in people that it can indicate pain or hyperventilating, so I wonder if the excitment of being at the vet and exam decreased her level. It was only 1.2 mmol/L outside the normal range.

I am patiently waiting until I can make those videos to share with you.

Amanda I'm so glad Reagan is home and she looks wonderful!

Back