Comb suggestions

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
I need a new comb for Mia and Teddy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Karen, like that. My other one was a cheapy one the teeth started falling out, so I just have the brushes now, but need another comb for after brushing. What size do you get? I usually keep Teddy on the shorter side, but his ears and legs are really curly and hard to get through. Mia seems like she will be a little easier with her coat.

To be honest I don't know that much about grooming but I read a little in Dog Groomer's Manual by Sue Gould. After brushing out, she recommends starting with a wide-toothed comb then a medium-tooth. Use a 2-2.5cm length for a cocker--too long will irritate the skin. Combs without handles and long combs are harder on your wrist. A rake handle comb is good for arthritis. Some combs are Teflon coated to help with static.

I believe I have the 7.5" fine /coarse. I've liked it. It works well for me and Ki has a lot of hair! It's also what Ki's handler recommended.

I have a greyhound comb also, but, I also have a comb with rotating teeth that I love.

I have a greyhound comb also, but, I also have a comb with rotating teeth that I love.
I read about those in her book too but couldn't picture how they worked until now. The teeth spin. They are supposed to be gentle on your dog and your wrist.

I read about those in her book too but couldn't picture how they worked until now. The teeth spin. They are supposed to be gentle on your dog and your wrist.
Yes, Pye still hates any comb, but, they are more gentle on the ears especially. Pye has a very wet mouth, so his ears sometimes can get like cement.

Hmmm-m-m...I am going to be investigating those combs. Fi has very tangle prone fur. I take her outside, leaf pieces or small bits of twigs get caught in her fur.....one day later and you have a tangle that forms into a mat. It has become such a problem that we are going to shorten her furnishings again(legs and underbelly). It is too big of a headache to always have to worry about her coat and if there are mats (which is not acceptable). I am an outdoor kind of person and like to take my dogs with me so the fur needs to be short enough to not cause problems. When I chose this breed I knew that the longer coat would be a downside---not that it isn't beautiful and all--but the maintenance aspect would be something that I would find to be a real chore. The scissoring and clipping are just half of the story, I simply did not understand the close, personal relationship I would need to have with the comb.

Mel I don't blame you one bit, comfort should come first, and blowing out all that coat takes time. I cut Pye down when he was just a little older than one, I love the look of a long coat, I never kept a skirt on mine, but the long feathered legs I loved. But Pye's coat would tangle like no ones business!

Back