Foul Odor....need advice please

Jackie Chevier

Hello All,

My 10 year old cocker spaniel, Harley has been through so much. Without writing a book, my question is regarding a really, really offensive odor seems to be coming from his mouth/breath. Before you say it's his teeth, last month he had a cleaning and several teeth pulled, including both canines. Also a recent follow up visit and vet says his teeth are great and his mouth looks fine, although he agrees , there is a foul odor. We thought pulling the teeth was going to end the odor, but, it did not. Prior to this issue he had regular teeth brushing and cleaning. This is not a typical dog breath smell. It's a smell I cannot describe...like something died and sat in the sun for hours. Almost like manure. His blood work came back fine, no kidney or liver issues. He goes to the groomer every 4-5 weeks. I clean his ears every Tues and Friday and wipe him down with vet prescribed anti fungal wipes. I put him on a strict diet for 3 months, which was home cooked food, no sugar, super low carbs, no treat, etc. No change in him at all. I'm at my wits end. I have another cocker spaniel and she has no issues at all. Has anyone had a similar issue? Please help, I love him so very much. Thank you in advance.

After his last dental, did his odor improve? I would say his gum's are most likely culprit. I've been brushing my cocker's teeth every day but there's still a rotting smell. I can't get everywhere. If Hoshi would let me use a waterpic, I could do wonders. Here's an irrigator that works on pressure alone:
Amazon.com: Elera Portable Air Pressure Dental Water Flosser Oral Irrigator Teeth Cleaning for Travel: Beauty I might give it a try. You might want to use this outside and place a bib on him.

OK, I have not had this bad of a breath problem with my dogs, but I agree with Manuel that it is most likely the gums. My husband has had extensive teeth and gum treatments due to gingivitis, and the odor that came out of his mouth before this finally started to heal smelled like rotten fish, awful awful smell. He has to be very diligent now with his teeth and gum cleaning or the smell starts to return. I think you're on the right track, do what you can for his gums as well as the teeth, and see if the smell gets any better. Good luck and let us know how it goes, or what you find out.

My beagle has always had terrible teeth....needing a dental cleaning every so often since she had to have two of her teeth removed when she was only 4 years old. I can tell, her breath changes and gets nasty, even with brushing. Maybe it is that.

Do you wash your dog's face. Could your dog have lip fold pyoderma? The area of the lip folds, jowls, or even where the upper canine teeth lay over the lower lip can sometimes harbor bacteria causing very foul breath. Linny who used to post here recommended washing the area with the original Listerine. That never worked well for me but it has for others. When my Riley was rescued he had it and I ended up going to the vet. He did a swab and we got medication. Ki has jowls and when I was his face daily I make sure to wash out the area with a wash cloth. It's worked so far.

I agree with Karen, lip folds can be horrible. I've had the same issue with one of mine and it is better after a bath for a while.

Back