1st groom

I made a huge mistake about a year ago and bought a really small set of clippers that had almost asurgical blade..... I wanted to neaten up Billy's ears..... They took off way too much hair and he ended up with a hot spot..... Linny seized them from me and banned me from unsupervisoed grooming..... It was only after she trained me that I was allowed to try it again -- This time with proper equipment.

... you get what you pay for.

I recently started to groom Billy after taking him to the professional groomer every two weeks at a cost of $50 a throw..... Just in the savings of grooms alone, my table, arm, clipper blades, and cool lube and cleaning stuff were paid for before he "really" needed a groom..... I got my clipper (and my Intro to Grooming) as a gift from Linny so I was already ahead of the game..... I'd already had my brushes and my Coat King and my Matt Buster so my next investment will be good scissors and thinning shears, followed by a good stripping blade.

I'm adding a picture of Billy's head which I'm pretty proud of..... I got his muzzle and the ear tops nice and tight (used a #10) and kept his top-knot short because I love the shape of his head..... I have him short for the summer because he plays at the dog park that has slews of mulch..... Billy plus Mulch equals MATS!!!:w00t:

BTW, I'm not a big fan of scruff-of-the-neck grabbing, especially in the tub..... I've found with all of my dogs who I've bathed (not often and not well), that a little peanut butter on the edge of the tub will capture their attention long enough to hose them down.

Attachments

• neweileen 049.jpg
    neweileen 049.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 52
Mare, I didn't know YOU were grooming Billy! He looks absolutely excellent :D When Eileen sent me those pictures, I actually thought to myself that whoever was grooming him was doing a fabulous job. Way to go, girlfriend!

Well, I do have to confess that when I got to Eileen's for the visit Billy wasn't looking particularly good..... More like a bad comic book dog, because I'd clipped his legs down and did a really lousy job on them..... But God love Eileen and Madrina, they coached me and gave me some good advice as they watched me clip his legs and belly..... He had the hairiest belly and French-Girl-Underarms (hairy and a little matted)..... I do great ears and face though, but that's my favorite on a cocker and Linny showed me how to do them.

But we were in company with 14 cockers, 11 of whom were in full coat (I kid you not!)..... Billy is in his Summer Buzz and the others were in puppy cuts..... You never saw so much hair outside a tack room in your life!!

I think he looks beautiful - but I'm somewhat biased :) I'm glad that you have some great coaches as far as grooming goes. It helps to have people that can show you stuff.

MaryEllen!
Billy looks beautiful! You will have to get me your favorite photo of him so I can add to your collection ^_^

I haven't felt like painting lately, but, I'm sure that when I get used to the warmer weather, I will.

I have one to paint of Peggy's baby, they live in San Diego, then I have an action shot of Jack Jack I want to do, I was even considering trying that one in colored pencils! But, I'm not sure yet..

Check out the petedge site...I think that they have clippers on sale...As for a table....for a long time I covered my dining room table with an old sheet and groomed there (do not tell my auntie she will never come for dinner again). It was a good height and lots of room to put down the sissors and brushes. Do love my table though.

PS...Thank you to all of you groomers who have given us amatures tips...

O.K., first of all you guys are very brave trying to do it all yourself...Bella hates for a brush to be anywhere NEAR her!! I took her to a groomer a couple of weeks ago, for just a "trim". We told her we eventually wanted a medium length coat, not full...we even showed her a picture.. She came out with all the length on her legs and sides gone...well, except for one front leg she missed entirely!! And one back foot she missed.... Oh, and she didn't shave all the hair on her ears(underneath)....So, I had to try and trim the hair off her leg with scissors and inside her ears.... The only thing I can think was Bella was either a REAL handful, or this lady doesn't have a clue what she's doing!! Thank God I was only out $20, but probably won't go back to her again....

I wouldn't go back to a groomer that "forgot" a leg or the inside of the ears. One of the most important areas to trim on a Cocker is the inside of the ears! Without adequate air flow, it is a breeding ground for yeast.

IMHO, it doesn't matter how much or how little you pay . . . the dog should be groomed nicely and evenly.

[), that a little peanut butter on the edge of the tub will capture their attention long enough to hose them down.[/QUOTE]

That is a brilliant idea, Mare! Food of any kind always works for anything!!!

Paula, I am just attempting this grooming procedure. I have just purchased an Andis AGC, single Speed from Ryan's Pet Supplies @ WWW.RyansPet.com, phone 1-800-525-7387l . I have several friends who groom their pups and are very encouraging for me. I'm very excited about this new adventure and hope it goes well. I know it is a new adventure for me and my Domino, but I think we can do it. Domino is very good with the groomers, loves to be brushed and loves to have his belly and back rubbed. I've wanted to do this for some time and just decided with the help of friends this was the time to do it. One of my friends has offered to come and help me with my first attempt. Since I keep Domi in a puppy cut should be OK. Then I got to thinking, I should not have told anyone what I was doing, then if I do a really bad job I could just blame it on the groomer....not really, but a thought :)
Joyce and Domino

Back