A post worthy link

Thanks for the link. I always thought a grain-free diet was 100% meat. I bought some Organix for Hoshi to try. I'm supplementing his raw diet with it. I hope this isn't true.

I don't know what to think.....I always thought very high protein was the way to go.....so did my sister.....and we adjusted our dogs'diets accordingly....then her 8 year old Dinmont terrier came down with a case of pancreatic problems......so she altered her diet and the problem seems to have resolved itself. My friend who used o be a vet tech said she had believes that moderate fat, moderate protein and moderate carbohydrate was the way to go. Now working dogs are a different matter altogether......more protein and more fat commensurate with their activity level is a wise choice. So my plan is to reevaluate Fiona's diet for fat and worry less about carbss....and pay attention to the ears to be alert to yeast infection that may crop up. This is a really compkicated subject!

Last edited:
Very interesting. I wonder what else those foods did or didn’t contain. Is the lack of grains alone responsible? I think there needs to be more research.

I don’t like lentils and beans, my dogs don’t do well with them. I always go with meat as the first ingredient with veggies 5th place and down. Chase is getting a special home cooked diet, designed by a vet in Washington. He get 50% meat to 50% fruits, veggies and barley. She wants him to get to the point where it is 70%meat to 30% vegiies, fruit which she said is ideal. She uses barley and quinoa with the veggie, fruit mix. Quinoa is not a grain, it’s a veggie actually and nutritious. Chase can’t have that as all his ingredients function to cool the body so he can heal, hopefully. The FDA is pretty vague in how they’re reporting it I think. High fat will cause some dogs to have pancreatitis issues. Chase needs ultra low fat with his disease , PLE.

OH....now that is interesting....I always thought it was a grain....I do know that the red quinoa has a complete set of amino acids which renders it's protein more bioavailable and it has a much lower glycemic load than grains. Couldn't the fat issue be like that with humans? When we are young it is not as important but as we,age our bodies deal with high volumes of fatty food less successfully, I think. So since Fi is getting older it might be wise to re-evaluate her fat and protein content.

I think the fat is an issue with many dogs, especially certain breeds predisposed to pancreatitis. Pancreatitis needs a low fat diet but I have not heard of an issue with protein. PLE- Protien Losing Enteropathy needs an ultra low fat diet. The recommendation for Chase is 2% fat. Between the low fat and the pred his beautiful coat is history 😢 but he is doing ok and he’s alive, both good things. My dogs have been grain free for 10 years. Much less yeast problems and other issues.

Yeah you have to weigh all this information carefully. I guess that, just like people, there isn't really a one size fits all solution.

as I understand it, lack of taurine can cause DCM in certain dogs. However, taurine comes from meat not grains!! The problem isnt lack of grains but the overuse of legumes.

Meat is expensive. grain is cheap. So some companies take out grains so they can tout their 'grain-free' status but then add in all sorts of legumes. Some legumes can be good but when they list the ingredient as meat, peas, beans, black beans etc or however they parse out the different parts, suddenly there is very little meat vs. other ingredients in the diet.

I believe the reports are so vague so they dont upset the million (billion?) dollar industry giants

It used to be thought that lack of taurine only affected cats but that changed, there are many systems affected by lack of taurine, including the nervous system. How many beans, peas , legumes etc did dogs eat In the wild, only what was in the stomach of the prey they ate. Same with fruits, veggies, grains. The best condition Chase was ever in was when he ate raw diets for 5 years. The RX diet I cook him is much higher in veggies, fruits and a little barley than he ever ate before, but there are no preservatives or artificial anything in it. It is cooked for 6 hours then Put through the food processor so it’s almost like baby food. It is not an ideal balance but he is stable and alive. Hopefully he will heal and we can move him to a more appropriate diet, same foods but better balanced. Doubt he’ll ever be able to digest much fat so his coat is not the best. He gets duck, spinach, carrots, apples or pears, parsley, basil, nettle, barley and local honey. All these thing are balanced synergistically and he gets no supplements.

Back