About Your Dogs

Dylan

1. The first time I met Dylan was when we drove 3 1/2 hours to the breeder to pick him out and pick him up. We had first choice of the males and it was actually very hard to choose. On the way home my dd had him out of his crate and was holding him. He never cried for his litter mates. He knew he was home.

2. Dylan can always make me laugh. He personifies the cocker standard of Merry. I always giggle watching him leap and run for his tennis ball. He just has Joi de vie! (Not sure exactly how to spell that.)

3. Something that makes me proud. Dylan has never seemed to be a brave dog but when we were walking and the unleashed boxer attacked, Dylan pushed Riley behind him, jumped in front of me, and fought. He wanted to protect us. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt.

4. Dylan's happy attitude makes me feel good. Dylan has always been loved and he expects that everyone will love him and he will love everyone, with very few exceptions (see boxer above.) Love and happiness just shine from him

Karen
I have hears some of Dylan's story! But, I forgot about his jumping in front of you and Ryley to protect you. He is such a brave and beautiful boy.

DJ
I just love hearing your story of the girls every time you tell it. They are so wonderful! Tell everyone about going to the ball games with them!!! ^_^

And tell about your birds also!

My Little Pogo

Pogo is a little angel (with a pitch fork) sent to me during a time of need. I told one of my co-workers that if she ever saw a cocker in the local paper marked "free to a good home" let me know because cockers are high maintenance and should never be free, it's almost like the first stop to the shelters.

Well she did! We were both working that day behind the Pharmacy counter and she said she found a cocker free to a good home. I called them about 2 hours before my shift ended. I told them that I worked with a rescue group, and if they were desperate, I would take the pup and find him/her a good home.

1. First time I met my dog:

Well when I got home, they were waiting for me. It was a very young couple who lived in an apartment, they both worked in real estate and had very long hours. They were getting married. The young man had rescued this pup from a tied in the backyard situation. But the pup was too much for them.

So Pogo became a Cockers in Need rescue. Linny put him up on Petfinder and Cockers in Need. But, during that time, I was loosing my Mother. One day when I was crying, Pogo walked down from the back of my chair (his favorite place) laid down in my lap on his back and looked up at me.. that was it. Pogo became the 6th of our cocker crew.

2. Something your dog does to make you laugh:

As I said, his favorite place is sitting on the back of my chair. Also I think his favorite sleeping place is funny. He will come up to the top of the bed, wait for me to lift the covers and crawl down to the bottom by my feet to sleep.

Another thing Pogo did that I will never forget. Michael came to visit me at work one day. I wanted Tish, my co-worker who brought us together to meet him. I picked him up and put him in her arms.. he promptly peed all over her LOL.. I thought it was funny.. she didn't. At the time Pogo had seperation anxiety and I didn't realize that he would be afraid of a stranger.

3 Something to make you proud:

Pogo's beauty makes me proud. He's beautiful inside and out.

4. Something that makes you feel good:

Pogo has always been a comfort to me. From that time he tried to comfort me when I was grieving my Mothers death. He's just a wonderful, wonderful beautiful boy.:)

He is my 3rd baby. I'm telling the tale of the Bennett Crew in order of their arriving at my home. Of course last but not least will be Stormy! I have told his story over and over, you all know it both from me and Robin. I will tell it again because I love to tell it!^_^

Riley

1. Pam contacted me to say she would be picking up a dog from a breeder. Would we want to see him? We would. We drove about 50 minuted to meet Pam (I really liked her) and her husband (cute). She walked out this little black and white footstool loooking dog. He was dirty, had long fringed sides like a hula skirt, wagged his tail, and looked at us with love in his eyes. I was worried what Keith would say since Riley wasn't housetrained and our house, and carpet, were only four months old. Keith fell in with Riley also and he was ours.
2. Riley makes me laugh when he does his "Tradional Dance of the Riley Roo", aka "The Popcorn Dance." Whenever I get our our stovetop popcorn maker, Riley watches me put in the ingredents and as soon as I begin to turn the crank, he picks up a toy and runs laps through the dining room, living room, hallway, family room, and back to the kitchen, dances in front of the stove, and begins again until the popping stops. He is just so happy he can't contain himself.
3. Riley makes me proud when he becomes the "Nurse." As soon as someone is ill or injured Riley lays down with them to care fore them. When Lauren had her surguries and was laying down on the couch, Riley would leap up very carefully and you could tell he was staying away from her leg, and cuddle with her. Nothing makes you feel better than petting a cuddley cocker spaniel.
4. Riley's love and appreciation for us makes me feel good. Riley knows it isn't always a nice world out there and he lets us know how much he loves us by snuggleing with us every day. He is just so gentle and such a loving little dog.

Ahhhh Karen
As often as I have heard Riley's story I think this time was the best.
Both your boys are as beautiful as can be. :)

Ahhhh Karen
As often as I have heard Riley's story I think this time was the best.
Both your boys are as beautiful as can be. :)

Thank you, Polly! I love reading this thread. It's so much fun to hear how we adopted our wiggle butts and what we love about them.^_^

1) The first time you met your dog

I met Mozart just a few weeks after Maxwell passed. Monte was with him and rescue wanted me to adopt him too but he needed a dental so I would pick him up afterward. Took three months to get Monte in my home! Poor communication I suppose.
With Coco I got a call asking me to take him. I balked but eventually drove 30some miles to pick him up at Petsmart and cry all the way home.
Charlie was another call to say please take him. Maybe 2 weeks later I said yes...poo - I had an extra Kong!

2) Something your dog does that makes you laugh

Mozart is just a clown. He's young and incorrigible and beautiful! When I first adopted him I realized he's a goofball and absolutely adores getting the zoomies which I participate in and sometimes initiate. Enter Monte a few months later and he eventually got into the game too! It was a welcome relief after having one dog who did not play at all.

3) Something your dog has done that made you proud

Mozart's easy and patient way with the following rescues.
Monte's growing trust of me and finally sleeping in my arms after nearly a year
Coco's trusting me with grooming and nail clipping and just plain thriving!
Charlie's realization that I don't like pee on my floor and he's learning to get along with the others without trying to be alpha!

4) Something your dog does that makes you feel good

Mozart loves to cuddle but he would make me feel a lot better if he did not plant his monster paws on my most significent assets! He is awesome with the rescues though...very patient and nurturing.

Monte just has a heart of gold. It's taking a long time to get this little street dog to realize he's home for good but I can trim all his nails now!

Coco is a senior who just needs to be loved. It's hard to love a pooch who wants to bite but he's getting better. This "blind and deaf" old guy is the first one to set up the alarm MOM'S HOME! I always get tail wiggles and kisses from this cranky old dude.

Charlie's learning yet. He's only been here since Thanksgiving but he's a cuddle-bug who trusts and is making the transition from yard dog to beloved house dog nicely. He doesn't like to be held but sleeps right at my head at night.

Thanks, Kelly, these apply to DeeDee my current Cocker:
My husband had a business meeting in Richmond, VA. and I was asked to accompany him. I took that opportunity to go meet two breeder rehomes in Chesapeake, VA. at that time. We drove from Richmond to Chesapeake and went to the breeder's home. I met DeeDee there for the first time along with her litter of three week old puppies. There was no doubt in my mind at the time that DeeDee was going to eventually come to Texas to live with us. She did...a month and a half later.

DeeDee has a game of searching out her "bonies"(Milkbones) each evening. They are on the floor in my husband's computer room. She goes and retrieves them one at a time, eats it and then goes to retrieve another until they are all gone.

DeeDee has made friends with all of the neighbor-dogs-three in all.

Cuddles on the sofa with me.

Since Pluto is our older pet, I’ll start with him.

The first time we saw Pluto was at the breeders in Passaic, New Jersey. We had lost Odie in June of 2005 and we were thinking of another dog, but were still in the thinking stage. I had called Odie’s breeder to tell her what happened and she said she was sorry, that she did not have any puppies, and I told her that it was way too soon anyway. About 6 months later, just after we returned from vacation, she called me at work and said she had a little red boy that would love to meet us. We went up to her house right after work and this little red fur ball came tumbling out at us, sat on my feet, scratched Mike’s nose with his little puppy teeth, licked us both and an hour later we were on our way home, the three of us.

When he gets his piece of banana every morning, he grabs it and runs like the wind into the bedroom and jumps on the bed to eat it. He doesn’t do that with anything else, except his bananas. We guess he likes his fruit "to go."

Pluto has taken on the “big brother” role to Woody. It makes me so proud to see a dog that went from cowering at a little puppy to his protector. When someone strange came to our gate a few days ago, Pluto ran over and barked at him and nudged Woody out of the way.

Pluto is a cuddler. He loves to cuddle and sleep on my lap when I’m sitting in my recliner.

Woody is a bit different.

We were standing at Baggage Pickup at American Airlines and when the door opened we heard this horrible howling on the other side of the baggage area. When we saw it was a carrier marked “live animals”, we kind of knew it was our new addition. The clerk brought him over to us and put the carrier on the luggage rack. I signed for him and we took him out of the carrier and cuddled him, kissed him and just held him to make him feel safe. We put him back in the carrier until we got to the car and I got in the back seat and took him out of the carrier again.

Woody is still not too steady on his feet and will fall down and roll over. He also has confiscated the cat’s little pop-up house since he can fit into it. it’s a cube with a hole in 3 sides so he can come in and out as he wants. He will start to play with a toy inside and will rock and roll the pop-up house and roll it all over the kitchen floor.

I’m so proud of the fact he is taking to housebreaking so beautifully. He knows the sliders mean “out” and when he wants to go out, he will run to the sliders and bark and whine. When he has an accident, its always by the sliders. We think “he’s got it!”

He loves us and lets us love him. He likes to be picked up and held and loves to sit in the recliner with me and his big brother. I wonder what its going to be like when he is full grown!!!!

Bertie

The first time I met Bertie was the first time I took Cassie to Nancy to be groomed. Bertie's puppies were just beginning to go to their homes that week and she was in the puppy pen with them. After a lot of discussion with Nancy about my decision to add another dog, she asked if I'd consider adopting an adult instead of a puppy. Actually that was what I had in mind but I was still floored when she offered Bertie to me. It was instant love.

Bertie is a rearranger. No matter how the pillows or blankets are laid out she will spend hours pushing pillows around until she gets the bed just how she likes it. If I move them in anyway she will fuss at me and then start all over.

Bertie is one of the most loving dogs I've ever seen. When I take her out she will sit so patiently when she meets kids and let them pet her. She loves everyone.

Just the way she will snuggle into my arms. She settles in and makes this contented, happy sigh like there's no where else she'd rather be.

Chesnee

I'd actually met Chesnee a number of times when I'd take Bertie and Cassie to be groomed. About two weeks after I lost Cassie I'd taken Bertie to see Nancy. We spent a couple of hours talking about Cassie and with both of us bawling, Nancy suggested I leave Bertie with her since she was due for a bath. We both went back to the dog room and while there of course I had to say hello to all the "kids." Chesnee was crated in an open puppy pen, waiting to be groomed after her bath. When I walked past her she stretched up, whimpering and begging me to pick her up. I did and she wrapped her paws around my neck and nuzzled my face making these silly little grunting sounds. Then she started licking my face as if sensing I needed comforting. That's when Nancy told me that when I was ready, Chesnee was for me. She came home with Bertie and me that afternoon.

Chesnee is a spinner. When she's excited she turns around and around in circles.

Like Bertie, Chesnee has a very loving personality. Everyone who meets her tells me the same thing- they never knew a cocker could have such a beautiful soul. She's my heart healer.

Chesnee loves to have her tummy rubbed. She will cuddle up against me and gently push my hand down until I rub her tummy. Nothing like seeing that sweet, trusting face to push everything else aside.

It's just wonderful to share our stories! Thank you Kelly for starting this thread!

Diane I loved hearing of your meetings with Bertie and Chesnie. I know how much Cassie meant to you, it's like she picked out her sisters for you.

Carol I have heard Pluto's story before and it was sure fun to hear Woody's story. Poor baby crying while waiting for you to pick him up.

Juanita I have heard your story of Dee Dee before both here and on zim's board but it sure was nice to hear it again. Dee Dee is a beautiful girl.

Sharon I loved reading Mozart, Monte, Coco and Charlie's stories! They are all lucky to have found you. Little Max must have sent them to you.

Wonderful stories! Lets keep this thread going!!!

This post is a nice way to get meet everyone's cockers and get back in touch with our members. I'm enjoying everyone's stories. Thanks for sharing.

I have one more, and that's Stormy's story which I will share when I get home from work tonite..

A question, do we want to share our angels stories? Or, we could start a Rainbow Bridge Thread..

I have one more, and that's Stormy's story which I will share when I get home from work tonite..

A question, do we want to share our angels stories? Or, we could start a Rainbow Bridge Thread..

Be my guest. I'm sure others might have the same idea.

I am enjoying this thread SOOOO much! Diane, for as long as I've known you, I had no idea that Chesnee chose YOU instead of you choosing her. That just makes me want to cry! (in a good way)

This is so much fun, reading about everybody's dogs and learning the wonderful and funny things they do. How cool that they're all so different!!!!

Back