Activities with your dog?

Marti

Owned by
1 cocker
I have always thought Charley would be great at agility but have never gotten him in to it. :( Was just wondering what different kinds of activities you all do with your dogs?

Well, it depends on the dogs.

My first born (Doodle) was such a wonderful retriever, we trained him to get mommies slippers, and a few other things. He loved having a job.

Another one we taught to 'get the bug'... hehehe, if there was a fly buzzing around, he would get it.

Some we just play ball with, over and over and over again. Ling Ling will actually put the ball in the Chuck-it thing and wait for us to fling it.

Nemo's job is to 'find the puppy', or 'run the puppy'. He's the one that gets em going.

Joy's job is to be a princess

Chip, well, chip is a baboon and his job is to get on tables and knock stuff over. Also, we have this big leather ottoman that HAD wheels on it. Chip would jump on it and it would go flying across the room. BAHAHA, we took the wheels off.

I think it depends on your time, energy and your dogs ability to play along.

Mostly we play outback with balls, hula hoops (we try to get them to jump thru) and sometimes we hide stuff in the yard and have them go find it. Little sniffers are really good.

We love to play catch..outside or inside. We use tennis balls outside.. I stand on the portch and throw them and off they go! Inside we use a larger stuffed "basket ball" we throw it and they bark and run to get it.

We had those talking balls that Bunkie loved. We put them up after Bunkie went to the bridge. I took one down the other night and Pogo went nuts playing with it! It was joyful for me and sad at the same time.

Pepper loves his zap balls. It doesn't matter if they have any life left in them or not.

They all will toss and play with stuffies.. and they don't ruin them either! ^_^

Odie loves his zap ball too! He also loves to dig in the yard for rocks. He likes to play fetch too.

Hershey likes to play tug of war & fetch.

Reesie likes to play with his favorite toy, Mack...rofl. He also likes to play fetch.

Mack likes to play with his favorite toys, Reesie & Candy....rofl. Mack loves to play ball & fetch too.

Candy likes to play ANYTHING! She loves to chase a ball, roll a ball around, play fetch, play chase, really anything.

Frankie has a couple chores he is responsible for. First, after he eats, and then takes the bowl to the rug to keep it still while he licks every possible smell of the food, he then picks it up and gives it to Mommy. His other job is also related to meals, but ours, not his. When I finish removing the food from the table, he picks up my place mat and brings it to Daddy so he can put them both away.

He's a good little helper....

His favorite toys are two little squeaky bears, one red, one yellow.
The red is his favorite. He squeaks the bejeebers out of that toy. I'm surprised it still has its squeak!!!

Judy

Dylan loves to play ball. We are trying new types of balls since the vet said tennis balls arn't good for their teeth. So far Dylan likes a thicker yellow squeaky one. Dylan and I did do agility except he was a lot better at it than I was. Riley likes a loofa doggie but he just sorta likes it. Riley's job is to follow me around and "help" me with everything I do all day.

we use racquet balls here instead of tennis balls -- cause they eat the fuzz and then puke yellow

For work: my dogs do barn chores with me every morning... well not Star anymore as she can't see or hear and I am always worried a horse will kick her or spook over the top if her.

For fun: I also walk 2-4 miles everyday, depends on weather and how much time I have so I take my new puppy Noodles with me. I keep her on a leash but I do let her off for a bit and she loves to flush birds, sniff for squirrels, thinks she is chasing bunnies and leaves. Noodles also loves to play tug and fetch..I have heard comments about playing tug with them as far as making them aggressive but Noodles was timid when we got her and I wanted her to gain confidence so I play tug with her and let her win, almost always.

For making the world a kinder place: We do not have any kind of organized groups like "angels on a lease" or anything like that so I take it upon myself to visit nursing homes, schools and hospice patients with my dogs..they love it and so do we.

Lot's of walking. Me and Gabby used to walk for miles. We still take short walks. Gabby used to drive my wife nuts playing ball. You'd throw it, he go get it but wanted to fight you for it. :|

I think it's neat some of you have chores for your pups.

we use racquet balls here instead of tennis balls -- cause they eat the fuzz and then puke yellow

Ewwwww!

Frankie isn't much of a ball freak. Just those damn squeaky toys! If I try to play fetch with him, he runs after the toy, or ball if I insist, then lies down and plays with it. "Uhhhh Frankie, the deal is to bring it back and I'll throw it again!" "Uhhhh Mom....no."

Judy

I do a lot of obedience training with my dogs, but I try to make it fun. With Farley I have done competitive obedience and rally obedience. He also LOVES to play fetch, so we have a short session every day. He lives for balls. Grace does agility and is just getting into therapy work. We have done some obedience, but she much prefers agility. Jack Jack does obedience - he is really good. His specialty is stupid pet tricks . . . he has a good repertoire and is learning more. He also loves to play fetch, but I can't let him and Farley play at the same time, because they don't love each other.

Back