American or English

Heath Darby

As our Millie has grown, now 7 months old, her looks have developed more to look like an English Springer Spaniel. When we purchased her the breeder said she was American. Is there any specific way to determine the difference?

Attachments

• 20170816_212840.jpg
    20170816_212840.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 24
We got the signed agreement that has the mom and dad AKC #s on it. She told us she would send her adult papers at a later date. Although, she will not return any email I send her.

OK, that doesn't sound right. When I got Callie, the breeder filled out all the paper work in front of me and had me give her a check made out to the AKC to get the papers w/her name in my name. Can you contact the AKC and ask them about her? Whatever she is, she is cute.

She looks more American to me (the face and ears). They both come from the same lines. It would be difficult to tell.

Yes she looks like a pet quality American to me with a field coat. She is a darling.

There is usually a pretty big size difference between an ESS & an American cocker. Looking at her, I agree that she looks like a pet cocker.

Sadly, due to poor breeding practices over the years there is a WIDE variety of "pure bred" cockers despite what any papers may tell you. Seriously. I currently have a 14lb cocker with a tail and very little coat that is practically wash and wear and my first cocker was a very slim 36.6lbs and 18in at the shoulder with a HEAVY cottony coat that took 5hrs to blow dry fully. Every one else has been in between the two ends of the spectrum. Someday I'll get a well bred dog that looks like it ought to ;)

Back