Angus' 2nd hair-do

Paula N.

Owned by
1 cocker
So, I'm finally getting around to posting pics of Angus 2 weeks after I attempted his grooming for the 2nd time. I went back to the same groomer who "taught" me the first time. She had me do everything and was there only to answer questions and give minimal direction. In the 3 hours it took me to do Angus, she had 9 dogs done!

This time around, I gave Angus more of a proper cocker head and ears. Thanks to Kelly, I was able to figure out what the inside of his ears are supposed to look like and specifically asked the groomer how to do the inside since last time she didn't even mention it and I knew no better.

The groomer wasn't too impressed with my Kim Laube Speed Feed clippers but I'm happy with them. Since I will only be doing a full groom around 6 times a year, I think they'll be just fine. I didn't scissor his legs at all, just used the comb on the clippers.

Can anyone give me tips on how to get Angus used to having his pads done. The first time around, I was able to clip the fur btwn his pads with scissors but this time he wouldn't let me near his feet. I tried just holding them until he gave up squirming but as soon as I tried to cut the fur, he squirmed again. I gave up without really doing them.

I love his cut but he no longer looks like a puppy, that's for sure. My neighbour misses his curly fur on top of his head but I think he is much happier in the heat we are, finally, having.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Angus after trim touch ups (2).jpg
    Angus after trim touch ups (2).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Angus after trim touch ups (1).jpg
    Angus after trim touch ups (1).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 79
Angus looks great! Gabby hates having his feet done too. I have someone pick him up and hold him--he can't go anywhere and doesn't squirm so much. My helper usually needs a few breaks because Gabby is heavy. :p

Angus looks great. Good job. He is such a cutie!

As far as his paws, I would try to play with and pet them other times with giving him treats. Let him learn that messing with his feet is a good thing and should help you with the grooming.

Last edited:
Paula, I think Angus looks GREAT! I'm not sure why your groomer wasn't impressed with the Speed Feed clippers . . . I've been using mine steady since January and have been very happy with them. As a home groomer, they're certainly fine.

I would have trimmed the top 1/3 of the ears down . . . to give him more of a Cocker look. For the pads, most dogs don't really like the clippers. You can use the scissors to trim the hair even with the pads, and the dogs don't fight as much. Otherwise, ask your husband to feed Angus peanut butter or small, soft treats while you clipper between the pads, to distract Angus from what you're doing.

Very nice overall!

Paula
Agnus looks great! Like Kelly said, I would do his ears a little further down.

Lookin good!

Thanks everyone! Believe it or not, his ears were done but I guess not well enough. They've grown in alot and I was just thinking that I should trim them up the next time I do his face. I didn't think I'd like the traditional cocker head and ears but I do. It makes him look like a big boy although in reality it makes his head look really darn small!

You did pretty well Paula. :thumbsup: Sounds like you've gotten some great teaching except for allowing you to use what equipment you like. Like Kelly, the only real thing I noticed were the ears and it made alot of sense why they looked like they did after your explanation. Hey, he can look however you want him to. Just remember it will grow back if something does get messed up. LOL
As far as his feet, I put dogs in what I call a choke hold along with a tie in front to the pole that pulls the noose off the dog's trachea when they pull backwards. Using scissors is less frightening if they're afraid of clippers but clippers are faster. I use this hold also when I do nails.

I think you did a most excellent job, especially since it's only your 2nd time :)

In fact, I have seen WORSE coming out of a grooming shop.

Everyone has their own personal preference to grooming equipment, so don't worry about what you're using if you're comfortable with it.

I zap the paw fur with a 30 blade, holding it backwards ---- the paw that is. Quick, bam, done

Back