Anyone know how to groom a puppy?

s.mikkelsen

Owned by
2 cockers
So Chex is about 9 weeks old and she's starting to look a little shaggy.... I have no problems muddling my way through Tanz's grooming but when it comes to a puppy....I'm lost! I know I've read some of the older posts and it says to strip the back, but even with Tanz I clipper him with a guid and then use blending shears as I tend to like him shorter in the back. However Chex may be a ring dog in a few months and I know I need to start her off right. So can any of you experienced groomers please pass on your wisdom? Also how do you get them to stand still to sissor the feet? She wont stop moving......

Thanks

I don't know specifics but get Chex used to it. Get him used to the tools so he's not worrying over them. I've groomed Hoshi enough that I've earned his trust. He'll lay on his side and let me shave his underbelly. That makes life so much easier for both of us. Keep it a positive experience and no OUCHIES. Here's a video. The groomer's basically doing it the same way you would for an adult:

http://on.aol.com/video/cocker-spaniel-puppy-grooming-tips-189537003

I start with puppies in my lap,brushing them each day,rubbing their ears and lots of rubbing on their feet. When I feel they are ready I start standing them on grooming table for brushing...always spend extra time with ears and feet.
I have a very small battery powered set of clippers that I start with,really not good for clipping but it is the sound and the feel of clippers that I am working on getting puppy use to. Rub the clippers while turned off all over them,let them smell of them...next I turn them on and maybe just touch the puppy with them if he is ok with the noise. If he is scared of the noise just hold them running till he calms down and then turn them off. Each day I add a little more touching and rubbing him with the clippers. Soon he will learn they are not a monster and will be ok with them. I also have treats that he gets only when he is on grooming table,helps to teach him something special happens when he is good. Don't forget to rub on his ears and feet each day,even if he is just lying in your lap. As for scissors,I have a dull rounded point pair that I use in the same slow way to teach him to stand still while working with him. The first few times when I do clip and trim him I have a helper,she helps me hold him,calm him and even hold treat so he can lick and chew on them while I am working on him. He is a baby so 10 to 15 minutes to start is all I work on him a couple of times each day till he is finished with his first clip. Never work on a puppy straight out of crate always let them run,play and wear themself down before grooming time. Each time gets a little easier and he will soon learn it is a part of his life. Good luck with your new puppy,they are so fun and my little one brightens each day for our family.:)

Last edited:
I don't know specifics but get Chex used to it. Get him used to the tools so he's not worrying over them. I've groomed Hoshi enough that I've earned his trust. He'll lay on his side and let me shave his underbelly. That makes life so much easier for both of us. Keep it a positive experience and no OUCHIES. Here's a video. The groomer's basically doing it the same way you would for an adult:

http://on.aol.com/video/cocker-spaniel-puppy-grooming-tips-189537003

Thanks Manuel :) I'll see if I can copy some of his demo. Its not that she wont let me touch her paws or ears and she has no problem with the clippers as I've had her on the table when I've trimmed Tanz's face and held the clippers on her without clipping her, I just don't know what the show cut should look like for the pups. :)

Thanks Manuel :) I'll see if I can copy some of his demo. Its not that she wont let me touch her paws or ears and she has no problem with the clippers as I've had her on the table when I've trimmed Tanz's face and held the clippers on her without clipping her, I just don't know what the show cut should look like for the pups. :)

The cut and methods should be the same. The pup just won't have a long skirt like an adult.

Steph, the best thing to do is find a show person that can teach you show grooming and help set the lines in for you. Trying to do it from a video or book is going to lead to mistakes at some point.

I'm not sure who's around in Calgary, but if you just do the basic trimming, you can go to the show at the end of January and get some help there.

Steph, the best thing to do is find a show person that can teach you show grooming and help set the lines in for you. Trying to do it from a video or book is going to lead to mistakes at some point.

I'm not sure who's around in Calgary, but if you just do the basic trimming, you can go to the show at the end of January and get some help there.

Thanks Kelly, I was planning on going but I'm not sure if i'm going to be able to go as I have to head in for surgery and don't know if I'll be up and walking on my own by then also Chex has started to develop more black then I think is allowed for the conformation ring. Which is fine for me as I'll just hav eher fixed and put her in obedience with Tanz as was the back up plan. Her black seems to have come in almost over night she took me by surprise in how dark she's getting.... But she's still cute as a button and just as much of a little terror as ever :)

Back