Bathing the beauty

Scots

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi:

We just took Brandy to the groomer on Friday for the first time (well... Our first time, but seeing as she is 4, I'm guessing she's been before) for a full "spa day" and now she's already smelly. Pardon my complete ignorance, but how often should she be getting a bath? Any nice smelling natural products out there you recommend? We've also never done it before, so any tips on how to do it would be helpful. Not sure how she feels about the water... Do you think the grooming place would have taken notes on how she did on Friday?

Btw: Brandy looked adorable after her spa day. I will have DH post a pic on the thread when he gets home

Cara, I know some cocker owners bath once a week. I do about once every 3 weeks. Mine are in puppy cuts and don't get very dirty. In the winter, I do blow out my dogs. It depends on how short you prefer her coat to be. In the summer, I let mine air dry. I use the Crown Royale line of products. There are lots of wonderful products out there.

It's probably helps knowing what's going on with your cocker. I would ask the groomer what he or she noticed about your cocker during the appointment. If the groomer noticed a hygiene issue they could give you tips on keeping her clean.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I bathe mine weekly, at times it will go to two weeks. They get dirty going for walks and they also seem to matt, even short. As for the smell. Is it the whole dog that smells or just an area? Chase does not smell but Chicka stinks an hour after her bath, just around her face. Yeast infections will make them stink and I am sure others will be along that know more about that. Especially Robin as she does grooming so she has contact with a lot of dogs.

Hmm, she shouldn't be smelly so soon. I would guess she has full/leaky anal glands or yeast problems.

I only bathe our Cockers every few months or so. They stay in puppy cuts so baths aren't needed often unless they get muddy. I mostly bathe them to be able to use conditioner (it makes brushing much easier). Sophie and Bambi don't have any sort of doggie odor and Gracie just smells yeasty sometimes because of her ear problems (and that wouldn't be solved by a bath, sadly!).

The girls get bathed about every 10 days or that is what I aim for sometimes it is a couple of days later or earlier if the are really dirty, I try to clean up their faces with clippers at this time. They get brushed and combed every other day. I find that this keeps them mat free and does not take long at all as they are not in a full coat. They get their faces washed every morning....Hannah shoots daggers at me for this but hey keeps those faces smelling sweet. Ears get done every Monday with K9 liquid health.

When my dogs are in coat, I bath them weekly and blow dry them. When my dogs are shaved or are in puppy cuts, they get bathed as needed. That's usually every 3-4 weeks. Grace gets done more often since she gets itchy - I use a special shampoo for her and it seems to help.

I recommend doing what I do- every drop off to a groomer, tell them to please take note of any issues the dog may have while being groomed, just so you're aware. Any parts of the body the dog is sensitive to, or parts of the grooming process they are scared of. It's educational to you, and if you ever have to go to a new groomer you'll be able to tell them ahead of time. :) As for being smelly, I have no clue/advice! Sorry:) I know I have been having to bathe Simon about every 10 days or less lately, and I don't really get it. He's overall smelly ... but he's an indoor dog. I walk him about 4 times a day to a limited area, and back in. So I don't really get how he becomes so overall smelly. o_O

Since we're talking about dog smell, I noticed Hoshi has been smelling better on his raw diet so maybe there's something in his diet adding to the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Turns out it was her breath that was so smelly. Oops! Improving Brandy's dental routine now.

I have to admit I have also created a couple of beggars, but they don't bark . Chase will bark when I am fixing his dinner but not while begging. I am sure someone can come up with a solution. The trick is having the courage to enforce it , I am hopeless when they give me " the look " and I give in .

I have to admit I have also created a couple of beggars, but they don't bark . Chase will bark when I am fixing his dinner but not while begging. I am sure someone can come up with a solution. The trick is having the courage to enforce it , I am hopeless when they give me " the look " and I give in .
Hi eHeart! I wanted to welcome you to MCS! I'm Polly and I live in SO CA with hubby Michael and our 3 cockers. Pepper is a black & tan senior who is about 12 years old, Pogo is our buff boy who is 7, and Stormy, our brown boy who is 8 years young and comes from my dear friend Robin of his group. :D :wave:

Thanks all. Turns out it was her breath that was so smelly. Oops! Improving Brandy's dental routine now.
I use CET rinse and malt flavored toothpaste with a finger brush not a regular tooth brush. It does become a routine and once a day it what I have been told to do. They also have poultry and beef flavored paste. Good Luck!

I use CET rinse and malt flavored toothpaste with a finger brush not a regular tooth brush. It does become a routine and once a day it what I have been told to do. They also have poultry and beef flavored paste. Good Luck!
I know Linny sometimes will squirt some of the poultry flavored paste on bones when she gives them.

Back