Best Food/Supplement for Coat?

Marti

Owned by
1 cocker
Has anyone found a particular dog food that works best for their Cocker's coat? I don't feed raw and am currently feeding Charley and one of my GSDs Iams Healthy Naturals. I know there are better foods out there but I really don't want to spend a whole lot more since my other GSD is on prescription food for IBS. Charley's coat is not in bad shape, but I would love for it to be shinier! If not changing food, is there a supplement out there that will help with the shine?

Omega 3 aka fish oil. Go to Walmart or something and find it in the vitamin section. There's a lot more out there pricier and possibly better but I've been using the Walmart brand for ages with good results - I take it myself. Got 3V caps liquid from my old vet long ago but it was expensive and the pump on it broke about halfway thru the bottle leaving my kitchen splattered with fish oil and smelling rather horrible! I also use Nutro Natural lamb & rice cause it was suggested to me many years ago when I had a dog with allergies and it worked perfectly to improve his skin and his coat. I love the stuff! All my dogs have done well on it. I really don't care much for Iams but to each his own I think. A good multi-vitamin will help too. Even the shampoo and cream rinse/grooming spray can make a difference! I use Suave aloe vera/vitamin E cream rinse on my guys which makes their coats soooo soft and shiny...helps the skin too!

There are some really good supplements that can be added to their food as well as the Omega-3 fish oils (which are great). Nupro is a good one, but for some dogs it seems to cause a bit of digestive upset. I'm not sure why. Showstopper is quite good, and lots of people I know just rave about it (look for "Animal Naturals" online, they're based in CA).

We homecook for our crew. We follow Linny's Puppy Stew from her website http://www.cockersinneed.com/puppystew.html

I have not needed to add Omega oils before, but will start because my vet wants my Pepper on them. He says 3-6-9, but I'm thinking to stick to fish source.. so I may get salmon oil for him.. Or just give him the Omega 3 fish source I take.. I will just cut the caps and put on his food.

I work at the Vitamin Shoppe so it's not an issue for me :p
My vet also is testing Pep's thyroid also, he may need to be on meds .. he's thinking that the breakouts I've been fighting are not bacterial, and is also doing a test on scrapings to see. I will know it all by Monday

I am considering feeding my dogs raw but still have some research to do. In the meantime, I am switching them over to Innova EVO. Hoping they do well on it! :)

Omega 3,6,9 is good for us and the dogs.

Fish, Olive, Borage, etc.. all good omega's

Back