BURR Help!

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
Teddy had a hayday at the park today running through the woods, chasing unknown critters :) However, he also ended up with what seems a thousand little green burrs, sticks, grass, and whatever other crap he went through. My question is, what is the easiest, less painful way to get these out? I have worked on him twice today and got tons of burs out, but he still has a lot in them, mostly on his skirt, belly and hind legs, but he hates when I brush him there, especially his underside and back legs. Is it better to wet the area or do it dry? When I got him home today, he was wet from the grass and I got his ears and front legs done, but he cried sometimes and wants nothing more than to get away from me (I don't blame him). How can I get him onto his back, if at all? He never likes this position anyway and never rolls over for belly rubs.

Thanks for any advice! From now on, we're staying in the grassy area of the park!

There is a plant that grows all over the city park across the street. The burrs are about the size of peppercorns, and sometimes Cordelia brings them home by the dozen, even in a short coat. The easiest way to pick them out by hand. It's a slow, laborious process, but can be somewhat disguised as cuddle time. Your fingers and finger nails can target those tiny Velcro bombs more efficiently than any comb our brush. Pretend to be absent-mindedly petting and svritching, and casually pinch those burrs out, as if by chance. And don't even pretend you can get them out all at once. You might think you got 'em all, but you'll find two more tomorrow. Still better than the foxtails, which are sharp enough to borrow into the skin.

That's exactly what Teddy has--those little burrs. I just had him cut into a puppy cut, but still the ears and legs trap these little suckers! He had so much fun running in and out of the woods this morning, but now he is paying the price. My other dog Chuck, ran in and out with him, but he's a lab and nothing sticks to him (thankfully!) and he's much more tolerant to brush and mess with than Teddy. I've been using some little treats too to keep him by me. He has always run to a corner (any corner will do!) when he sees the brush and comb come out :)

I hate to second by hand but that's the only way that works for me, too. Imagine Ki with his show coat and all those nasty little burrs.

Karen, I don't know you would get burrs out of KI!

I'll be trying to hand pick them out after work tonight and probably tomorrow some more :)

I think we have a different sort of pricklers (gumball sized??) but I pick what I can by hand, then brush and comb w/a fine tooth comb.

Afa how to get them on their back, I just flip them and hold between my legs or toss a leg over them if necessary and feed yummy treats and give belly rubs. I actually teach them to lay on their sides "settle" but if I need to, I just do it. keeping them on their side and lifting their legs to get to their belly tends to be much better accepted by them than putting them on their backs.

My first cocker had a really thick cottony coat and I started not wanting to take him into the woods b/c of the pricklers so I had my mom make him a little lycra bodysuit.

I'm still getting straggler burrs, but I think there is only a few left that I'm trying to pick off when I pet him. Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

I cannot say if this would work for a dog or not, but it's what I've used on horses when they get burrs in their mane and tail. It's called Mane and Tail Detangler. There's both a spray and a gel. The spray you just spray in and let it sit for a bit, the gel, you work in. I know I put it in a horse's mane once B4 we trailered out for a trail ride. By the time we got where we were going, all of the burrs had just fallen out.

This sounds like a miracle! Would love to hear if anybody tries this!

My mom use to use Mane & Tail detangler on my sister and I when we had perms.

I can confirm that when we'd come back from hunting with my dad it definitely worked getting leaves and woods debris out of tangled curls.

My sister still uses the shampoo!

My mom use to use Mane & Tail detangler on my sister and I when we had perms.

I can confirm that when we'd come back from hunting with my dad it definitely worked getting leaves and woods debris out of tangled curls.

My sister still uses the shampoo!

ha ha I KNEW I recognized that brand.... I too used to use it as a kid/teen. I think its time for me to try it again!

Well, it reminds one to read labels, for sure. I was really gobsmacked to see who was on that list. Many hippie-chick favorites.

I resign myself to pulling out one or two " velcro peppercorn" burr every single summer day. Steve sometimes finds little caches of them, on a side table where I've absent-mindedly left them.

Back